Airaid U-Built-It Intake Kits

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mesozoic

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang fastback restomod. Caged, stiffened, lowered, on 17" wheels with 4 wheel disc brakes and Bilstein dampers. PST polygraphite suspension kit w/Mustangs Plus springs. Custom SEFI-EDIS8 EEC-V injection based on '96 Crown Vic harness (CDAN4 strategy). 90mm induction, LMAF, 80mm Accufab TB, Edelbrock Victor intake, 42# injectors, fully ported RHS Pro Action 215 heads, long tube headers. '69 351W stroked to 408 using Scat 4340 crank, H-beam rods, SRP pistons. Comp Cams 284 Magnum hydraulic roller cam, Canton windage tray and main girdle w/blueprinted standard pressure oil pump. Serpentine conversion using late model 5.0 parts. Backed by a built 4R70W, FB Performance 3000 RPM triple-disc converter, custom alum driveshaft, stock Ford 9" w/3.50:1 billet LS.
What do you folks think about these kits: http://www.airaid.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=101-401

I've never heard of Airaid before and I'm not much a fan of their plastic tubing, but for my fuel injection conversion I need to do some custom intake routing. I don't really see any alternatives!

I haven't had any experience with them, but they've been around for a while, seem to be popular with the tuner crowd.

I believe that AEM and Spectre both have aluminum universal kits.

I was talking to some of our mechanical engineers at my office and they say that even though it doesn't look as nice as aluminum, plastic is a better insulator, so it should work better than aluminum unless it were ceramic coated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got Airaid on my Dodge diesel. Awesome product. Back when I installed it they were the only ones that made a filter with internal structure such that (given the right circumstance) the thing wouldn't crush and get sucked into the intake of the air thirsty diesel.

Take a look at the cold air kits from Anderson Ford Motorsports. They're nice. If for some chance they would fit..our if you can modify it to fit..

Take a look at the cold air kits from Anderson Ford Motorsports. They're nice. If for some chance they would fit..our if you can modify it to fit..
I have one on my supercharged '89 and it is a nice piece. Unfortunately, however, it's designed to fit a specific model and is not universal. :(

I'm also doing a full custom job because my hood appears to be 2 overlapped pieces, where I've cut the center section out in order to get to the ram air scoops and cowl induction portion. I'm thinking of placing the filter somewhere in this recess to get a cold and ram air effect.

Here's a few pics of what I'm dealing with.

IMG_2865.JPGIMG_2864.JPGIMG_2863.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Back