Another dumb drum brake question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1. Originally 2V but going 4V soon!
So how do you get the emergency brake cable separated from the rear drum brake housing. Looks like you should be able to squeeze all the little flanges inside the hole and it would slip on out. After an hour its no longer therapy, its work. So I ask....

A little trick is to slide a socket over the end of the cable down to the fingers. Make sure socket inside is about same size as the hole the cable is going through. Push the socket over the fingers. The fingers should compress enough to pull the cable out of the housing.

Another way is to take a heater hose clamp and tighten it slightly around the fingers till they compress then pull the cable out.

Hope this helps!

A little trick is to slide a socket over the end of the cable down to the fingers. Make sure socket inside is about same size as the hole the cable is going through. Push the socket over the fingers. The fingers should compress enough to pull the cable out of the housing.

Another way is to take a heater hose clamp and tighten it slightly around the fingers till they compress then pull the cable out.

Hope this helps!
Thanks Turtle. Reps headed your way!

Hope this helps!
Thanks Turtle. Reps headed your way!
Thanks! Let us know how it works out for ya.

1/2" or 9/16 deep well 3/8 drive usually works, depending on of the nub of the cable will fit through the hole in the socket. Sometimes you can work it with a box end wrench, depending on the backing plate design.

Tip of the day. After the socket attempt, after the tie wrap attempt, after the hose clamp attempt....

I wrapped a piece of a cloths hanger around the emergency brake cable fitting in the drum on the other side when tearing it down. Started even with all tabs on the fitting extended and flared out. I started twisting the cloths hanger making the loop tighter and tighter and sure enough popped right out.

Try it, you'll like it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back