Another wheels and tires thread

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
I'm getting close to needing to order my wheels and tires. I'm becoming a fan of the 17's up front and 18's out back. My findings tell me the best way to pull this off is to have the tires 1 inch different in size and to have the sidewalls as close to the same as possible.

So I'm looking at Nitto 555R 285/40-18 (18x10) and Nitto NT555 G2 255/45-17 (17x9). These numbers have a 1" difference in height and exact same sidewall height. The questions are...will I have issues with a 9" wheel on the front? The tire is 10" wide. The front suspension is stock with the exception of a 1" drop and a slightly thicker sway bar. The next question would be proper backspacing. I have no idea for the front? I like a deep dish look on the rear so at least a 5.5' but what would be a safe bet without modifying the body? Thanks

Yes, there is likely not enough room to clear the upper ball joint in a 17x9 wheel. An 18" wheel will clear the upper ball joint with the correct backspacing. I am using an 18x9 wheel on the front and an 18x10 on the rear designed for a 94-04 Mustang I'm not sure of the backspacing numbers. I needed to use a 1/2" spacer on the front to clear the ball joint with the spacers I needed to install longer studs. BTW, you'll like the Nittos I have 245/40 on the front and 295/40 on the rear.

If you have questions let me know.

I'm getting close to needing to order my wheels and tires. I'm becoming a fan of the 17's up front and 18's out back. My findings tell me the best way to pull this off is to have the tires 1 inch different in size and to have the sidewalls as close to the same as possible.

So I'm looking at Nitto 555R 285/40-18 (18x10) and Nitto NT555 G2 255/45-17 (17x9). These numbers have a 1" difference in height and exact same sidewall height. The questions are...will I have issues with a 9" wheel on the front? The tire is 10" wide. The front suspension is stock with the exception of a 1" drop and a slightly thicker sway bar. The next question would be proper backspacing. I have no idea for the front? I like a deep dish look on the rear so at least a 5.5' but what would be a safe bet without modifying the body? Thanks

I run the following with the Nitto tires with no issues.

Front

17x8 with a 4.5 back spacing

245-45zr17

Rear

18x9.5 with a 5.5 back spacing

275-40zr18

Somebody needs to report Jscott to the administrators for posting indecent materials.

Back