Any 71-73 Daily Drivers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In the summer it's nearly there. If it's going to rain the car stays home (it leaks so bad I may as well have the top down). I drive it to work and cruise evary available opportunity. In the winter it and the owner hibernate!

My 73 convertible was pretty much a daily driver when I bought it in 1974, but I did have a conversion van that I used for camping, running around town some, and of course dates at the drive-in! As the years went by I used it less and less and tried to preserve it as much as possible by keeping it as an extra car. I stored it for about 10 years from the mid-90's to 2005 when my kids were young because the paint was thin, it needed a paint job, and could not justify spending the money on it. In 2005 when the two boys were approaching drivers age I pulled it out of my parents barn and begain the resurrection with their help. Now that it is almost complete (always one more thing I want to do) it is a fair weather driver only. I do run errands with it during the week and of course on the weekends, but it has not seen a wet road since the paint was finished last spring. It's always fun to watch the heads turn as I drive by. The mileage is documented at about 111,000 miles right now.

This is how it looked in 2005 when we pulled it out of the barn. If you look close through the windshield you'll see the two boy's faces sitting up front. The car was covered with red clay mud dust and some minor surface rust in places from the thin original paint.

2005_0312_141502AA.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
If I can do the swap to a T5 this year I plan on driving the vert as much as I can this summer. Lol. Unless it rains.... Because she leaks like a bugger.

Ken

Forgot to add my daily driver is an 08 Bullitt

IMG00090 [640x480].jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Trying to turn ours into a daily driver (for the gf to use until we get her own classic Mustang). Need to take care of all that rust and get the car up and running first, lol. :D

Other than that, for myself the 1995 Hyundai Scoupe is my daily driver back and forth to the park-n-ride for my commute to downtown Seattle. 92hp, 2100lbs, 5-speed, 28mpg avg city driving, and only $600 when I bought it. Been running strong ever since. :)

Once a week is all it gets but not in rain (all year round,,,,, hey, it's Calif!!).

Not sure how dailys can afford it, at 10 or 12mpg, it swallows alot of gas!

Mine is an almost daily driver. I can't drive it on rainy days because my wipers arn't working right now. So. Cal. also so I can drive it pretty much year round.

In fact it's in the shop right now getting cut-outs and Dynomax Turbos because with the 40's my neighbor was bitching about hearing me fire it up every morning.

As for gas prices my daily commute is only about a mile each way so it's not so bad, I will admit since I started driving it a do tend to find any excuse to take the long way home. LOL

But I told the wife I was going to sell it once I was done with the restore so I have to keep finding new things to do to it.

I didn't say I was going to sell it, I said I told the wife I would.But on the other hand for me the thrill is in the project and I can't start a new one unless I sell the old one.

I didn't say I was going to sell it, I said I told the wife I would.But on the other hand for me the thrill is in the project and I can't start a new one unless I sell the old one.
Haha, no offense but you sound like a natural born politician! :cool:

But I agree that there is a certain amount of thrill in bringing a classic car back from the dead. I don't think I could ever sell mine though because of the sentimental value.

I drove mine to work yesterday, to breakfast with friends and around town today chasing parts for the wife's trailblazer. When the weather's nice I drive it as much as possible. Heck it gets better fuel mileage than my Ranger.

This has been my daily since getting it finished last December

1124720236_gFvnp-L.jpg

And the misses daily driver is another American car, sold here in Oz under

the Ford badge but better known as a Mercury Cougar, only 1,000 came to Oz

and had to be ordered from selected Ford Dealers who had 1 car as a demo

model and you ordered colour and trim levels of a catalogue.

300771605_xMzNv-L.jpg

300771474_gdsWV-L.jpg

Cheers

Mark

After restoring a 1971 Mach 1 M Code in Grabber Lime (see pix of it in my garage), I drove the car for an entire year both to work, church, football soccer games (I was the coach) in and out of county. The biggest challenge was the intense heat and humidity of Florida. Early 70's A/C technology was not up to the challenge. What is more, the daily thunderstorms--where the rain (the Tampa Bay area of Florida is the lighting capital of the world) comes down in torrents--drove me nuts. I hated for the car to be in the rain all the time. So, I sold the Mach 1 and began restoration on a 1979 Ford Thunderbird in Chamois Glow. I still drive the Thunderbird daily. I've used the A/C parts from Classic Air in Tampa to effectively combat the Florida heat. The system blows upper 40's degrees out of the vents.

Back