Any 71-73 Daily Drivers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, I've never seen a 71 or 72 with the rectangular head lamps. That must be an Oz export thing. Very interesting. :)

Mark, I've never seen a 71 or 72 with the rectangular head lamps. That must be an Oz export thing. Very interesting. :)
Hi Don, I believe it came from the States that way and from what I can

tell it looks as though the headlight buckets (Round) are busted, so they

have used the rectangle ones and secured them to the grill with the

rectangle surrounds.

Cheers

Mark

This has been my daily since getting it finished last December

1124720236_gFvnp-L.jpg

And the misses daily driver is another American car, sold here in Oz under

the Ford badge but better known as a Mercury Cougar, only 1,000 came to Oz

and had to be ordered from selected Ford Dealers who had 1 car as a demo

model and you ordered colour and trim levels of a catalogue.

300771605_xMzNv-L.jpg

300771474_gdsWV-L.jpg

Cheers

Mark
These were known as a ford cougar in the UK , theres loads of em over here , v6 motor , when they advertised them , they used a clip of Steve Mcqueen in bullitt , that bit where he reverses quick , made it look like he was drivin a cougar!

My 71 is not a daily driver , although I have covered 4k in 18 months , I use it on nice sunny or dry days , dont see the point in wearin out a good thing , just bought a brand new van , panther black fully loaded , will put the miles on that!pxtrade ebay 053.jpgtranny.jpgpxtrade ebay 053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice past and present daily drivers! I remember the good ole days (1980's) when I had no care in the world and would park it anywhere. Now, is a different story. Lots of crack heads and thieves. I met a guy the other day that told me his 1973 Montigo GT, a car he had since high school, got stolen. This tells me "Gone in 60 Seconds" is still active here on the islands and that sucks!!!!! I just installed a battery kill switch and will now install motorcycle chain locks around the wheels LOL! It'll roll but make a lot of clanking noise and attract a lot of attention :D

As I posted earlier on this thread, I use my Mustang almost as a daily driver when the weather is nice.

Just for the record: I just crossed the 100.000 km threshold two weeks ago. (remember, mine has metric gauges)

The odometer read 25xxx when got her and it has done the full circle and now reads 278xx. I remember it going from 99999 to 00000 in June 2009 while we were driving south on an Austrian freeway heading for the north Italian border. (Yes I take it on vacations too) :)

I've owned this car for 10 years now and of those it stood still for a little over a year when it was restored. So I put almost 103000km on it in 9 years. That's not too bad for such an old horse, isn't it?

As I posted earlier on this thread, I use my Mustang almost as a daily driver when the weather is nice.

Just for the record: I just crossed the 100.000 km threshold two weeks ago. (remember, mine has metric gauges)

The odometer read 25xxx when got her and it has done the full circle and now reads 278xx. I remember it going from 99999 to 00000 in June 2009 while we were driving south on an Austrian freeway heading for the north Italian border. (Yes I take it on vacations too) :)

I've owned this car for 10 years now and of those it stood still for a little over a year when it was restored. So I put almost 103000km on it in 9 years. That's not too bad for such an old horse, isn't it?
I love your devotion Mike. Keeping the flame burning!

::thumb::

Thanx guys!

The good thing about driving that much in the Mustang is that my new car (VW) will decrease in value the more KM I put on the odometer, the Mustang doesn't. So I can have a lot of fun while keeping the resale value of my "normal" car up.

:D

I think I may be overdoing it sometimes, as my neighbors think I'm gone nuts when I use the Mustang to haul all sorts of junk to recycling.

But... I mean, it's car after all right?!?

:angel:

Thanx guys!

The good thing about driving that much in the Mustang is that my new car (VW) will decrease in value the more KM I put on the odometer, the Mustang doesn't. So I can have a lot of fun while keeping the resale value of my "normal" car up.

I think I may be overdoing it sometimes, as my neighbors think I'm gone nuts when I use the Mustang to haul all sorts of junk to recycling.

Mike, I agree 100% with your logic. The old car's values will remain stable or continue to increase. New car's value will go down no matter what until 30-40 years pass, then it maybe will go up. :huh:

Thanx guys!

Mike, you´re totally right in this topic... In fact, i´m doing all i can to make mine as a daily driver too...

I have some other dissadvantages too, you know.. 3rd world is mean sometimes.. It is usual that some stupid scartch your paint with a key just because you have a beautiful car... We can enter in this society issues that make a huge difference in our way of living, depending where the hell you´re from...

But if i think this through, i realice that i dont drive that much... Sometimes i come to work by car but most of the times I do it by bus cause is easier in many ways... then, i usually walk to my garagge (3 blocks from my house) and don´t know... supermarket is at the corner and stuff...

I can say i´ll enjoy driving my mustang is enjoyable rides like weekends or don´t know.. meet friends here and there once in a while... And if i were somewhere else i definitely be driving my mustang all day long... Think... it is an I6 so it is not only fuel cheap but it has a lot less to break... the rest of the car is totally ok.. not show quality but who cares? there are no shows in Uruguay :p

I´m on my way to fix every issue the car seems to have in order not to being nervous every time I have to do 50 Km

People concerns about crash the car for example... Well my friend, you can crash it on your way to a show or taking the car out of the garagge... Besides, if you drive the car a lot, you´ll get better used to his response and measurements and that will help your reflexes if you once need them...

Bottom line, I 110% with you my friend... and i want to became really old and tell my grandchildren i once drove a super car to everywhere ;)

Well i live in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México in the Pacific coast in a house by the beach, so it´s better for the mustang to use it every day than leave at home 24/7 on the salty humidity at home, have to clean the chromes every third day so the rust doesn´t start on my bumpers.

Well i live in Mazatlán, Sinaloa, México in the Pacific coast in a house by the beach, so it´s better for the mustang to use it every day than leave at home 24/7 on the salty humidity at home, have to clean the chromes every third day so the rust doesn´t start on my bumpers.
Same here. Pacific ocean is a hop anda skip away. I wipe it down every other day and use special wax and sealers. Coated every backside part with KBS rust paint. A product better than Por15. Viva la Mexico!

Thanx guys!

Mike, I agree 100% with your logic. The old car's values will remain stable or continue to increase. New car's value will go down no matter what until 30-40 years pass, then it maybe will go up. :huh:

It's amazing how much newer cars depreciate in value once driven off the lot.

i agree with the problem about the possibility of crashes and car accidents. Over the last 4 and a half years of driving the car majorily daily its been rear ended and the car took me for a ride into the back of a GMC Envoy after a front brake locked up on rainy after noon. Still, I just put some time into it, fix the damage, and continue daily driving it. Guess it helps to know body work and to have a car thats always im satin black primer!

Many people complain that the car is unsafe for the passengers in the event of an accident. So what?!? Modern cars have standards that they need to live up to. Those are precisely regulated and say how much a car may deform hitting object "x" with a speed of "y" at an angle of "z".

Than they are rated with points or stars or whatever. But what happens if you crash a 5 star NCAP crash test "winner" with higher speed or at a different angle? Than everything will come out differently.

So I guess with the Mustang, I simply plow the other car into the ground when I hit it!;)

Or find it in the grille opening when I get home. Remember I live in Europe, there are tiny cars on the streets. :D

Anyway, bottom line is: It's a car, it's meant to be driven.

I could never have a trailer queen, as I want to use it.

Same thing with my guitars. I have a some very valuable vintage collectors guitars, the kind that most people will only play at home on the couch, if they even do that.

I take mine to rehearsals and gigs and they get put through the mill on stage.

That's what they were built for.

Many people complain that the car is unsafe for the passengers in the event of an accident. So what?!? Modern cars have standards that they need to live up to. Those are precisely regulated and say how much a car may deform hitting object "x" with a speed of "y" at an angle of "z".

Than they are rated with points or stars or whatever. But what happens if you crash a 5 star NCAP crash test "winner" with higher speed or at a different angle? Than everything will come out differently.

So I guess with the Mustang, I simply plow the other car into the ground when I hit it!;)

Or find it in the grille opening when I get home. Remember I live in Europe, there are tiny cars on the streets. :D

Anyway, bottom line is: It's a car, it's meant to be driven.

I could never have a trailer queen, as I want to use it.

Same thing with my guitars. I have a some very valuable vintage collectors guitars, the kind that most people will only play at home on the couch, if they even do that.

I take mine to rehearsals and gigs and they get put through the mill on stage.

That's what they were built for.
I've gotta agree with you guys...

My wife says why are you driving the vert so much ...I say because it's meant to be driven! Mileage at this point is just a number....so what if the engine needs to be rebuilt down the line....I just think of the fun I had getting there!

I bought my 72 sprint conv with about 92K miles in 2003. It now has 112K so that 20K in 8 years which isn't bad for an almost 40 year old car. The pic is one of the few times my wife has driven it.

dance8thgrade 010.jpg

I only drive on the weekends. During the week I ride an old cruiser around. Not opposed to driving it though. Seeing a classic mustang riding around was got me into it in the first place, so I feel good driving around knowing someone might see me and bite the bullet and save another mustang from rotting away somewhere. :D

Mine is/was my daily driver until a recent freak accident, honestly it's not fun to drive but that's mostly because i chose to go with an electric fuel pump, i regret it and planned on changing it back to mechanical but i can't mess with that until its drive able again.

Ok, I'm still very new on this forum so if this is well documented then forgive me for asking...

Who uses their 71-73 as a daily driver?

- or -

How frequently do you drive your Mustang?
Every day since I bought the car four years ago. That is why the restoration is taking so long, every project you start has to be finished that evening. My '71 M-code Grande is the most fun car I ever owned.

mike

Back