Any 71-73 Daily Drivers?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My '71 Grande is a daily driver.

Need to get a second car so we

can complete restoration work.

The problem with a daily driver

is every project you start needs to

be finished in time for work tomorrow.

mike

My '71 Grande is a daily driver.

mike
AGREED! My 71 Grande is also my daily driver, although gas is starting to kill me out here in California, but hey no car payment helps a bit! Soon it will take a backseat and I will drive my wife's old car as she has a new one. In October I will have a house with a garage, and it is restoration time again!

Drive mine everyday that I can. Even though I'm seriously thinking about A/C after quite a few 100+ degree days this summer and it being solid black. I try my best to keep it out of the rain, but it never works and the wipers work great so I just wipe the water off when I get home on a rainy day. I get a lot of looks when I take it grocery shopping or something of the sort lol. I keep the car seat in the passenger side for my 3 year old son and I get quite a few looks for that too. Even got in some snow this past winter, which I wasn't planning on, so yeah it's a daily driver. It's not always clean, but when I buff and wax it up, it looks like a million dollars which always makes me feel good, until it gets dirty again. I always said I wouldn't have a trailer queen or a car that only comes out in perfect weather. I wish the 429 got a little better than 11.2 mpg's, but maybe one day a 5 speed will take care of that.

I drive mine almost as a daily driver from April - till the first smowflakes hit the ground.

And it also gets it fair share of car shows during the summer months, so using it and keeping her clean is a challange.

my threory is "why spend the money, time and energy to Restore the car, if its just going to sit in the Garage, or used stricktly as a show peice" Cars were ment to be driven, and enjoyed, and I like showing off my masterpice 7 days a week :D

I just got my '72 convertible this summer. I would drive it daily, but I will only drive topless. So if the weather call for 50% chance of rain, the car stays in the garage.

Last edited by a moderator:
mostly weekends but I do take it to weeknight car nights pretty frequently during the summer

Everyday, rain or shine. Especially after getting the T-56 installed :D

I plan to. Right now I drive my 68 coupe. 393w with a TKO-600. My'73 Mach-1 is getting the transmission rebuilt. As soon as I change the gears, I'll start driving it more..

I drive mine 6 to 7 days a week approximately 36 miles daily back and forth to work. I am still working the bugs out but Month one worked out fairly well minus my fuel pump going south on the way to work one day but I fixed it in the parking lot and drove it back home. I keep a bag of tools in the car for these special occasions. Here is a pic of my car at work. My summit carb is drinking way too much fuel because I am going thru a full tank a week. At least I don't have to worry about old gas.

1412165019901.jpg

Every day unless I have to open at work at 5 0r 6 AM.

Like Ralph in a year only left me on the side of the road for a fuel pump I filled the carb bowl with gas and made it home.

Work is 5 mi each way and if I drive it EASY it gets the same mileage as my 06 minivan.

Just put in GM style HEI for the 351c $50 should be more reliable as last week condenser was bad and had a stalling issue

GOODBYE POINTS!

This guy!:D Its the only car I got! The neighbors love me at 6:30 AM leaving for school.:p

"Boy do I love sleeping in! I don't have to get up and go to work for another hour and a half!"

RUMBLERUMBLERUMBLERUMBLERUMBLERUMBLE..BLUBBLUBBLUBBLUBB..WWAAAAOOOOMMMMMMMMMmmmmm...!

I bought my 71 convertible last February. Other than the six weeks it was at a shop getting work done I've driven it as close to daily as possible. Winter is finally getting here so she won't see much road time. Luckily I now have a 71 Mach 1 which will be seeing plenty of road miles this winter!

I am looking forward to driving mine in the snow for the first time. Just curious, what mufflers do most of you use. Mine has Magna Flow and they are way too loud on the highway. I run at 70 miles per hour at 3500 rpms and that is the sweet spot for noise. I asked for quiet mufflers and I am guessing my version of quiet is completely different than there version. I think my tune effects some of the sound. It seemed quieter with my Holley that worked until it flooded and pissed me off.

Just curious, what mufflers do most of you use.
I have Thrush Sonic Turbos with a home made 2.5" system throughout. They are pretty good volume wise, not very deep at idle though (linka-lonka-linka-lonka). I do have an issue to resolve with the pipes upstream of the mufflers, they resonate badly because they are such a long length of straight tube. At 40mph no throttle they ring in an annoying way. Adding H pipe soon and some joints to assist with transmission removal, should fix it.

My '71 Grandé is a daily driver.

mike
AGREED! My 71 Grandé is also my daily driver, although gas is starting to kill me out here in California, but hey no car payment helps a bit! Soon it will take a backseat and I will drive my wife's old car as she has a new one. In October I will have a house with a garage, and it is restoration time again!
Any advice from your experience daily driving? I'm a week in with it, and I'm thinking an MSD ignition control and electric fan would be good ideas.

Back