Anyone ever try a Nascar air box on our cars?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thunderguns71

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Fastback small block, now 429.
Has anyone ever tried one of these? They work on the basis of taking in air from the high pressure area at the base of the windshield. But I'm wondering if our cars can actually use that high pressure area due to the fact that it's a good ways from the carb to the base of the windshield.

The reason I'm asking is my 429 with the stealth intake and 1/2" phenolic spacer is practically rubbing my hood. I've got a drop base with a 2" filter, but I feel like I'm not getting adequate air flow. Especially 4500-5000+ rpms. Cant lose the spacer as it solved my boiling fuel problem. I suppose I could get a factory ram air setup, but I'd have to change the intake as I'm sure it's too tall even with a modified base. I've just got to get some cool air in there somehow.

I think our cars seal the cowl off with the weather strip at the rear. It would probably mean cutting and reforming the cowl to give the air a path...

Do you have a NASA hood? I leave my "nostrils" open for po' boy ram air.

Was another one of my brainstorms too.

I have in mind to connect the NASCAR box to the cowl itself.

Considered drilling into the fresh air plenum (upper firewall) and using knockout punches to make large, clean cut holes to draw from.

Seal it to the cowl with foam, not a rigid attachment.

The weatherstrip hood seal isn't a problem.

Haven't actually laid it out since I have no engine installed, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Can even modify a stock air cleaner with some sheetmetal instead of the CF box.

Was another one of my brainstorms too.

I have in mind to connect the NASCAR box to the cowl itself.

Considered drilling into the fresh air plenum (upper firewall) and using knockout punches to make large, clean cut holes to draw from.

Seal it to the cowl with foam, not a rigid attachment.

The weatherstrip hood seal isn't a problem.

Haven't actually laid it out since I have no engine installed, but can't see why it wouldn't work. Can even modify a stock air cleaner with some sheetmetal instead of the CF box.
Yeah that would work. I thought about that but not sure I want to cut my cowl. May just swap on a Edelbrock AirGap which is 1/2" lower than the Stealth and try the factory Ram Air. Of course if I could get it to look really good I might try the idea you had.

How about a dual filter setup from Spectre Performance? The carb "hat" looks pretty low profile. Depending what accessories you are running, you could probably run the filters right to either side of the radiator support. Or possibly inside the fender well like a modern 5.0L?

Back