Anyone into ham radio

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a couple of Midland hand held radios that have 50 channels

and it says you need an FCC license to use most of them. So I am

a little confused, the test does not sound easy or cheap. A friend

built a Heathkit system at around 1000 watts and back then Morse

code was required to get a license. Is that the same as HAM?

mike

mike

I think we have similar radios. The GMRS license is needed to use any of the GMRS channels. There is no test for the GMRS license. The GMRS license is $75.

Ham license: There are 3 classes of ham licenses. Technician, General and Extra. The Technician license is $14 and there is a 35 question test. The other classes are also $14 but have more difficult tests. There is NO morse code any more on the tests. Meaning you don't have to learn Morse code to get a ham license. So easy peasy. ;)

the morse code requirements got dropped a few years ago and the test and prep shouldn't cost more than $25. the nice thing with hr is that there are many options and not everyone has the same opinions as to what is the best way to go. After all these years I find the vhf bands are really not much different than cb. my opinion. I enjoy hf bands and i do build my own antennas, others love digital operations, many enjoy low power to see how far they can go with 5w or less on the hf bands. as i said before visit a local club and you will find them eager to help. just like this site my current interest is talking to other hams that have traveled and are operating from a lighthouse

i just completed working lighthouses in 100 countries all the way down to fuji islands.

I think we have similar radios. The GMRS license is needed to use any of the GMRS channels. There is no test for the GMRS license. The GMRS license is $75.

Ham license: There are 3 classes of ham licenses. Technician, General and Extra. The Technician license is $14 and there is a 35 question test. The other classes are also $14 but have more difficult tests. There is NO morse code any more on the tests. Meaning you don't have to learn Morse code to get a ham license. So easy peasy. ;)
I remember the three levels; you can use the radio, you can adjust the radio and you can repair the radio. Where do I apply for the GMRS license? Last time I looked a test was required. The radio

claims to have a 40 mile range. Only know a couple of words in

Morse, SOS and CQ.

mike

I remember the three levels; you can use the radio, you can adjust the radio and you can repair the radio. Where do I apply for the GMRS license? Last time I looked a test was required. The radio

claims to have a 40 mile range. Only know a couple of words in

Morse, SOS and CQ.

mike
Funny stuff Mike. Goto http://www.fcc.gov and put GMRS license in the search box. I'm sure it will readily pop up.

mike
Any frequency that you transmit on that is not considered "public domain" you require a license to use.

the morse code requirements got dropped a few years ago and the test and prep shouldn't cost more than $25. the nice thing with hr is that there are many options and not everyone has the same opinions as to what is the best way to go. After all these years I find the vhf bands are really not much different than cb. my opinion. I enjoy hf bands and i do build my own antennas, others love digital operations, many enjoy low power to see how far they can go with 5w or less on the hf bands. as i said before visit a local club and you will find them eager to help. just like this site my current interest is talking to other hams that have traveled and are operating from a lighthouse

i just completed working lighthouses in 100 countries all the way down to fuji islands.
Have you thought about or have a WATT meter or service monitor? And yes the difference between a couple watt repeater with good height will travel very well. The power wattage increase verses distance further traveling is diminishing return. This is why many law enforcement are leaving their couple hundred watt systems to 100 or much less watts. A 5 watt repeater, 50 feet in the air can travel 20 plus miles. While and in car system at 100 watts can travel 5 miles or less. Line of sight aids it alot as well. I am curious as to how you make your own antennas? You should take some photos!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back