Anyone know what a RUG BJ2 top loader is?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The transmissions should not be painted. The engine was painted without even the bell housing on I believe. The transmission was added in the dress out area that added any options, Air, PS, auto, three speed or 4 speed, etc. The paint is probably from some PO. They used different color paint markings on the transmission just like other components in the cars. I do not have a list of those. The 4 speed had lots of versions for sure.

I was going to email Dan Williams here and see if he knows but his site does not show and email address only phone. He is also very knowledgeable on the 4 speed.

Cheers,

The transmissions should not be painted. The engine was painted without even the bell housing on I believe. The transmission was added in the dress out area that added any options, Air, PS, auto, three speed or 4 speed, etc. The paint is probably from some PO. They used different color paint markings on the transmission just like other components in the cars. I do not have a list of those. The 4 speed had lots of versions for sure.

I was going to email Dan Williams here and see if he knows but his site does not show and email address only phone. He is also very knowledgeable on the 4 speed.

Cheers,
 Thanks also David. Yes, obviously a po painted it, too bad! Mine is bare and still has yellow markings on it, like someone scrawled on it with a paint stick, unreadable I afraid.

If you are able to solve this riddle, I'm all ears!

Geoff.

Wow, this has been a saga trying t find out EXACTLY what a RUG-BJ2 is. From every bit of information collected including from David Kee as well as many from the forum and  a friend of mine who was a parts and service manager at Sandy Elliot Ford (yes, that  Sandy Elliot) That part number does NOT exist anywhere in the Ford records, either in catalogs or Micro-Fiche, Soooo, the best guess is this toploader has a miss stamped tag and nobody caught it. There is a BG2 which I believe was a 31 spline in a Torino.

Thanks to you all for helping out on this one,

Geoff.

Geoff, This sorta mirrors the discussion we were having with Manu Mach1 on his Mexican 4sp. Mexico had some strong content laws concerning the use of Mexican built and supplied parts on the assembly line there. Since these cars were not being built for export into the US, the term "Anything Goes" comes to mind. 351 W's, unidentified  top loader 4sp's, clutch, linkage and Dana differentials are  just a few of the things we have seen on these Mexican market only cars. Guess Mexico tapped Dana to produce axles for the Mustang since I believe Dana has been in Mexico since the 60's. The 8" and  9" axles were produced at the Sterling Axle Plant in Michigan, so that left them standing on the outside!    

At this point I would say that the tag is either mis-marked or is a Mexican market only part. Since these cars were not US market built vehicles, parts for them would not be in the US part catalogs. Just like any other Ford built outside the US and for that country's market only.

As I had posted earlier, I sure would like to get my hands on a Mexican Ford parts catalog.   :D

Geoff, This sorta mirrors the discussion we were having with Manu Mach1 on his Mexican 4sp. Mexico had some strong content laws concerning the use of Mexican built and supplied parts on the assembly line there. Since these cars were not being built for export into the US, the term "Anything Goes" comes to mind. 351 W's, unidentified  top loader 4sp's, clutch, linkage and Dana differentials are  just a few of the things we have seen on these Mexican market only cars. Guess Mexico tapped Dana to produce axles for the Mustang since I believe Dana has been in Mexico since the 60's. The 8" and  9" axles were produced at the Sterling Axle Plant in Michigan, so that left them standing on the outside!    

At this point I would say that the tag is either mis-marked or is a Mexican market only part. Since these cars were not US market built vehicles, parts for them would not be in the US part catalogs. Just like any other Ford built outside the US and for that country's market only.

As I had posted earlier, I sure would like to get my hands on a Mexican Ford parts catalog.   :D
  Steve and David, that's a thought. But as the car this came out of, was as far as I know a Canadian car, I'm not leaning toward it being a Mexico toploader.

I might run it by the guy who is selling that box and see if he has any other insight.

A member from Germany is very interested in buying it, but want to be sure it's correct for his car.

Geoff

Latest posts

Back