anyone use a coolant fill funnel?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1, 351c 4v, C6 trans, grabber blue with white interior
I've done some work recently on the cooling system that involved changing heater hoses and radiator hoses.

To refill the system wouldnt I just want to jack up the front of the car, take the radiator cap off, fill radiator, let it run and put heater on. Then drive and refill as necessary to keep things at the correct level.

Whats this "spill free funnel" that Lisle makes? It fits on the radiator, gets filled with coolant and as the system 'burps' fills in with antifreeze.

http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-24610-Spill-Free-Funnel/dp/B001A4EAV0

Does this work any better than the first way I described or is it just quicker or something?

Thanks!

If my thermostat did not come with a small hole to allow the air to get out I drill a 3/32" dia. hole. This gets most of the air out that causes the burp.

If you fill the radiator put the cap on but not lock it and let the engine run a while then check the level I see no reason to get a special funnel or jack the front of the car up. If you have pets be sure and never leave any antifreeze on the floor or in an open container. If they drink it crystals will form in their kidneys and stop their function and they usually die if not treated very quickly.

I have had it drip on me and it actually tastes sweet so the pups like it.

David

I love those funnels they work great for getting air out of the system especially on quad 4 engines and stubborn Gmail engines that's tuff to bleed the air out it helps burping all the air pockets out well worth the money if you use it more than once.

I could see a setup like that for the newer designs since the radiators are almost sealed, but our vintage engine / radiator setups really don't require anything that fancy. Agreed, save the money. Don't forget the 'water wetter'.

Back