Aquired a gear vendors OD unit

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
'73 mustang convt.
I check craigslist for jeep parts mostly. Every once in a while I type in 'gear vendors'. I hit a 'almost' local listing that included the c6 tail housing. Priced at $650. I think it's an older unit, the guy has had it sitting in his shop for a decade. The c6 adapter alone is worth most of the cost and now I can see if the assembly will work on a convertible. The droptops have a torque plate just behind the transmission. It limits tunnel space that has to include the shaft, exhaust (dual) and now part of the unit.

Regardless I am stoked. It's a 4 hour drive from my house but some friends were passing by and picked it up for me.

My 3.50 gears are fun on the street but on the hwy the RPM's were a little too high.

I have to wait till they return from the Rino air show and then collect a few more parts. When I go to put it in I will do a write up.

Awesome score. That would be very cool if it would work in your vert. 3.50 gears might be conservative with it but I'm not really sure.

What is the reduction?
Mine is .78 so the 3.50 will be around 2.73 in overdrive. The GV unit will need to be recalibrated in order for the speedo to work properly. They are calibrated at the factory based on rear end ratio and wheel tire height. The speedo gear at the tranny is no longer used.

-jbojo

Yeah 2.73 was the stock rear end ratio. Not great off the line but cruise was good and the passing gear was awesome. When installed I will have the best of both worlds.

will e,

Reminds me of the 2 speed Shelby rear end I ran across at the Charlotte Motor Speedway Spring fest some 20 years ago. The gentleman wanted $1200 for the rear.

great find!

mustang7173 :D

Will E,

Great find, as for the Vert plate you night be able to have it modified to fit, or make a new one out of tubing to reinforce the undercarriage and still have the room to work with.

Okay, got it. It appears to be in good shape. It rotates freely, that's a good sign. And it came with the coupler which is very cool since GV charges a lot for them. I have to get a slip yoke, that's about 100 bucks and the electronics it came with is very first generation.

My main goal is to see if it fits and what needs to be done. The cost the of c6 tailshaft and adapter is worth it. If I have to upgrade electronics (going to either way) and actual OD unit I am still below a 'all new' cost.

What do you guys think about the torque plate? I have subframe connectors, is it still needed?

I've been driving my vert without the torque plate (or is it called a flex plate?) this summer. It was removed from the car when I bought it. Seems the PO did a rather poor job of hanging the dual exhaust system, and rather than correct it, just left the plate off. I have it, just need to get it back on.

I'm currently getting quotes to correct that, and also to install an H connector pipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
c7-75 I missed your original post. I started another thread asking about it. Good to know I can at least leave it off for a short run to the exhaust shot/customizer if it is needed. The spacing is going to be tight for sure. Too bad they hacked yours. My exhaust guys said up front the h-pipe wouldn't fit and ended up moving it back some. I will take some pics. It might not be the best performance location but it did even out and tone down the exhaust some.

So anyways guys, time to try it out! You would have thought I would have jumped right on it but I spent some time doing a little more research and got tied up in my other project. (Installed an atlas 4 speed transfer case in my 82 cherokee which ended up taking much longer than I anticipated)

Today I think I can get as far as removing the tail shaft, dropping the exhaust and torque plate then getting the unit bolted into place. I will do a seperate thread with lots of pictures.

Fortunatly I live in Phoenix. Temps in the 70's today so the garage won't be cold.

Back