Arizona air conditioning emergency!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximd30

Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang coupe
Okay so my car's stock ac compressor has a bad leak and i need to know if there is some sort of a rebuild kit for it or something? also my friend Mike gave me his compressor out of his 84 mustang but i don't think it will work (different size pulley thing). if anybody can help me with where to find this stuff, or how to fix it or even be willing to sell me an ac compressor out of their parts car... it would literally save my life. I'm 16 and this car is my daily driver and pretty soon its gonna be on the upper side of 110 degrees every single day... PLEASE HELP :huh:

Last edited by a moderator:
Classic Auto Air will have the parts you need. (866-352-4678) They have rebuilt compressors for $200 and will buy your old core or you could send it to then and they will repair it. They do offer a gasket set ($25) and all the seals that you would need. It all boils down to what parts need to be replaced. Give them a call. I have bought several items from them and they provided good service.

Classic Auto Air will have the parts you need. (866-352-4678) They have rebuilt compressors for $200 and will buy your old core or you could send it to then and they will repair it. They do offer a gasket set ($25) and all the seals that you would need. It all boils down to what parts need to be replaced. Give them a call. I have bought several items from them and they provided good service.
+1

whatever you do, do not throw out your old compressor at this point.

rebuilt compressors may not come with the magnetic clutch system, plus the york compressors(originals) are REALLY hard to find the last couple of years.

you want to make sure the new replacement(rebuilt) compressor matches what you have and you transfer all hardware as needed from the old to the new one. (convert to 134 if needed as well)

it took me a couple of months waiting on backorder for a Rebuilt compressor with a magnetic clutch to come in, the magnetic clutch also had the wrong connector on it and i had to cut my old one off, so KEEP your original compressor around until the new one is installed and ready to go....

recommendations: at the very least when you replace a compressor, replace the dryer as well. the dryer is located next to the condenser core in front of the radiator.

If your system is very original i would recommend changing out the evaporator core as well for a 134R redesigned model that has a higher heat transfer efficiency, the original R12 worked a little differently and replacement condenser cores rated for 134 work better plus you can have 40 years of sludge at the bottom of that condenser core that killed the compressor in the first place.

the evaporator core located in the car can also be filled with settled sludge, this is a tricky one, replacing it is faster but the original evaporator is a much better unit then the modern replacements, i would recommend asking a A/C professional if he thinks he can clean it out while it is still mounted in the car, otherwise the cost of taking it out will be very high.. i actually blasted water through mine, with chunks of garbage coming out of it, i then blew compressed air through it for a couple hours at the shop to blow it out even more and dry it out, i even pressure tested it with some fittings i made DYI to make sure it wouldn't leak.... it was 2 years later that the core went back in my car.

The expansion valve might also need replacement. hoses and fittings should be inspected, sometimes O-rings replaced.

the point is your going to spend around 300$ just for the service after the compressor is reinstalled for freon. you do not want to come back 3 days later with the new compressor blown again because of the sins of the old one. A/C systems are kind of fragile because when something in the system lets go it contaminates everything with metal shavings. not only does the compressor self destruct but the dryer filter will catch everything making it useless afterwords and then there might of been decay in the system to begin with that caused the original compressor to fail in the first place.

I made that mistake with my car the first time. i thought i would have a simple fix and i reused some parts, only to have those reused parts fail at a later date requiring more money out of pocket for a working long term A/C system.

Latest posts

Back