Auto Transmission and drive shaft for 429/460 swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

red73mustang

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Convertable
I was just wondering what the easiest, strongest and most cost affecting auto trans would be for a big block conversion on my 73 convertible?

I'm assuming a C6is the way to go and could I re use my existing drive shaft that is connected to the original C4 (I assume)?

Does the C6 require a mustang specific tail shaft and where can I get one?

I was just wondering what the easiest, strongest and most cost affecting auto trans would be for a big block conversion on my 73 convertible?

I'm assuming a C6is the way to go and could I re use my existing drive shaft that is connected to the original C4 (I assume)?

Does the C6 require a mustang specific tail shaft and where can I get one?
The C6 is the best way to go for an automatic. Make sure you get one with the big block bell housing. This would be from any 351M/400 or 429/460 engine EXCEPT from a Lincoln. The Lincoln C6's use a longer tail shaft and are more difficult to put in a Mustang. The drive shaft will need to be shortened and a C6 yoke installed. Any competent drive shaft shop can do this for probably under $200.

An FMX can also be made to work but is a little more difficult.

Red73,

I have a 73 Mach 1 that I installed a 460 & 4 spd last spring. If you have any questions or would like to see a completed project, let me know, I am located in North West Jersey.

Thanks, Jay

Back