Autoart 71 Mach 1 1:18

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Wife's getting this for me for Christmas. I've had a look at it and the detail is amazing. It's no longer made but it's worth finding on ebay, they come up occasionally.

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Perfect gift for US 71-73 owners. Lucky guy!

That's way cool and I might have to look for one for my collection. The Auto Art stuff is really good these days with their detail. I have an XA GT Hardtop I bought over 10 years ago and I bought a race car one about 2 years ago and detail on the newer one is way better than the older one, don't worry me as they all look awesome (older and newer ones) sitting in my cabinet in amongst part of my Bundaberg Rum collection. You're a very lucky man for getting that for Christmas, you must've been a very good boy this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have several of the SunStar Mach 1s...they are excellent for the price ($15 each when new), but they have a few flaws. The front and rear grill areas look a little "off" but a little judicious use of some model paint and it fixes them right up. Plus the tires look a wee-bit fake: no letters or other markings.

The Auto-Art model is much more detailed (and way, way more expensive! I think over $100 at time when new), but still has some flaws, but different ones than the SunStar.

And of course they both have the same, major flaw: They only put 351's in them!

I also have several versions of the Ertl 71-73 Mustangs, including the "Eleanor" version. The "Eleanor' is fairly accurate, but all the other Ertl variations are WILDLY innacurate.

One of them even has heater vents at the rear of the hood!

But they were cheap too...around $20 each when new.

I have two AutoArts (yellow, natch). One to display (and has been roundly abused by my cohabitants) and one NIB, unopened. They make a very nice tribute. Would like to turn the '351' into '429' on the hood and paint the bumper.

Wow - can't believe I missed this thread. I received a SunStar a few years ago during the Secret Santa program through this site. Love it!

HPIM0901.JPG

I've been trying to find a 1:18 model of a 71-73 vert but had no luck, so I've bought something similar by ERTL. To the uninitiated / or if you've drunk a lot it looks kind of similar.

Model12_zpsfqk59kif.jpg

Top%20down%2043_zpsdhup0c6w.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My mom bought me an Ertl that was copperish and that's how my stand looked before it wore away over the years it say for who knows how long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting - I have that same Danbury Mint Boss 351 (not the one in my picture above... that was a Testors kit from Hobby Lobby). It's still in the box, though - too nice to put out and start collecting dust - gotta get some more display cases.

I know what you mean and I boxed mine for years, but then I realised they need to be seen, otherwise there's no point in having them. All you're doing is looking after them for the next person to enjoy. I say get that display case quick.

Back