Autolite distributor

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 351 Cleveland, 4 barrel, ram air, 4 speed, factory a/c, 77 k original miles in bright red with black.

Drive it like you stole it!
hello all, how do you tell if the distributor I have is original to the car. Found this in my trunk after I bought it. My car is a 71 Mach 1, m code, July 71 build. Here are some pics of the distributor. Thanks for any information you can provide.

Attachments

• IMG_3117.jpeg
    IMG_3117.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3116.jpeg
    IMG_3116.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_3115.jpeg
    IMG_3115.jpeg
    943.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3114.jpeg
    IMG_3114.jpeg
    518.9 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3113.jpeg
    IMG_3113.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
That looks like the original distributor. The codes break down to '70/'71 Fairlane/Torino/Mustang, 351 4B with manual transmission, Imco emissions system, June 22, 1971 build date. That would be about correct for a late July car.

Thanks for the breakdown. My 71 Mach 1 is a m code 351 4 barrel with a 4 speed. So it is correct. Good to know. Why 2 vacuum lines. This is the first time I’ve seen 2.

This is a "dual advance" distributor. The second vacuum connection is part of the (very limited) emission control stuff.
71 was the beginning of emission, or the beginning of the end. I’m glad mine is a m code. Those closed chambered heads are great. I was telling my wife that I was glad I went with the 71. After having it for 4 years I love this car.

It’s always good to hear news about the parts you have are worth something. Anything that was removed from this car was saved for the next guy. I plan on keeping her for a while. Thanks for your reply.

That looks like the original distributor. The codes break down to '70/'71 Fairlane/Torino/Mustang, 351 4B with manual transmission, Imco emissions system, June 22, 1971 build date. That would be about correct for a late July car.
Hey, @rvrtrash , can you do the same for mine? It's in a '73 Q code manual.

Screenshot_20240722_130857_Gallery.jpg

View attachment 91222
I’m know expert, but yours looks like a May 11 1970. The first number 0 being the year, E being the fifth Month and 11 being the day. So that would mean it’s not original to a 73 model year. Let’s see if anyone else chimes in and can make this clear.

View attachment 91222

That's for a 1970 Fairlane/Mustang, 351, 2 bbl, AT, with Imco emissions. I have a Ford MPC book set I use to look up parts, but I think the same thing is available as a download in the 7173 Wiki at the top of page.

It originally had a Accel distributor in it when I bought it. I just freshened up the motor. I was going to buy a new rotor and cap for it, but it’s damb near impossible to find these obsolete parts. I’m going with a Pertronix flame thrower 2 now. Just got it today.

Back