Back to my youth!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 "Q" Code Mach1
I have finally found the Mustang project I have been looking to tackle for a few years now. The last "classic" Mustang I owned was back in the day when I was 19. I am currently 64. I owned a 66 fastback and then a 65 coupe. I have been constantly looking on Craigslist/ Offerup/ Autotrader etc for a project that had the right pedigree, the right options and the right price. I finally found a 1972 Mach1 "Q" code with a 4 speed, red paint and black interior located in Arizona. Purchase date was April 15th. I am currently working on the motor which has turned out to be a mess. Dropped valves, cracked cylinder wall, cracked head, bent connecting rod etc. I purchased a bare block and the other components and it's off to the machine shop next week (5/16) to start the milling process and balancing. I plan to build the engine to stock spec. I want to be able to drive the car daily.
I will post some pics later.

congratulations. I bought my current 1973 conv at age 76. Runs great, so I spend time on little things. Today it's strut rod bushings. Good idea to send engine to machine shop.
New bushings really quieted the thunder-clatter-boom-boom-boom of bumps.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the warm welcome. Here are some pics of the car and some of the engine damage.
Wow! Someone really took that engine to task. The rest of the car looks pretty straight. Hopefully as solid as it looks, so you only have to concentrate on the mechanicals.

Welcome from Oklahoma. A good looking car. I'm willing to bet the damage started when one of the stock multi-groove stems broke. Good luck with the build. Chuck

I have finally found the Mustang project I have been looking to tackle for a few years now. The last "classic" Mustang I owned was back in the day when I was 19. I am currently 64. I owned a 66 fastback and then a 65 coupe. I have been constantly looking on Craigslist/ Offerup/ Autotrader etc for a project that had the right pedigree, the right options and the right price. I finally found a 1972 Mach1 "Q" code with a 4 speed, red paint and black interior located in Arizona. Purchase date was April 15th. I am currently working on the motor which has turned out to be a mess. Dropped valves, cracked cylinder wall, cracked head, bent connecting rod etc. I purchased a bare block and the other components and it's off to the machine shop next week (5/16) to start the milling process and balancing. I plan to build the engine to stock spec. I want to be able to drive the car daily.
I will post some pics later.
So sorry to hear of the engine related fried you have run in to. That must so frustrating, not to mention costly. Good move building the next engine to stock, reliable specs. One suggestion, replace any two piece valves that are welded together with some nice one piece manufactured valves. I have heard one story too many about the oem designed and manufactured two piece valves that are “friction welded” together coming apart in a running engine to suit me.

I am currently 68. Except when I am driving, showing, working on, or tinkering with any of our First Generation pony cars. When doing any of that I am 19 again. And loving it!

Back