back window

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's integral to the rear section of the convertible top. Since you are asking the question it's probably best to find a convertible top installer in your area and talk to them about replacing that part of the top.

Actually it will probably be more feasible to replace the entire top while they are at it.

Bill is correct, the window is part of the rear curtain. The rear curtain is stapled to the frame and the top is installed over it. The top itself is stapled to strips that bolt to the inside of the quarter panels. You'd need to unbolt those strips and anything else holding them in place move the top out of the way and them replace the rear curtain. Chances of success are pretty low unless the top itself is in near-new condition.

the top is pretty new so can i just get the rear curtain i just brought the car two mouth ago and the rear window was in the back seat so is the glass glue in place have no idea why the window is hot inplace

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there material glued to the window or do you just have the window?

Cheap tops come with plastic window. All 71 73 came with glass from factory.

Like stated if they did not put the window in first you have to remove the tack strips in the back and start all over. A trim shop charges quit a bit to install a top usually $1,000 or more. 

This supplier of tops is one of the best I think, Kee in Charlotte, N.C.. https://www.keeautotop.com/

If the glass window is not glued in the back it would take someone like them to do it right. Special cleaners and adhesive to install. They also can supply you with Stainless Steel staples to do the install. Most trim shops just use steel ones and they rust really fast.

To get the tack strips out of the back you have to take your top well liner out there are a series of phillips washer head screws holding it in place. It is a pain to get everything out.

I took the top on this car off another donor crashed car and put it on myself. Did not see paying the price the trim shop wanted. I don't have any good pictures of the tack strips that go around the rear. The pics show the rain gutter built into the car. I cleaned and painted with POR and resealed all the seams before putting the top back on.

There are several videos on youtube showing install of convertible top on Mustang. Can be any year they all go on the same pretty much just different shapes.

Is there material glued to the window or do you just have the window?

Cheap tops come with plastic window. All 71 73 came with glass from factory.

Like stated if they did not put the window in first you have to remove the tack strips in the back and start all over. A trim shop charges quit a bit to install a top usually $1,000 or more. 

This supplier of tops is one of the best I think, Kee in Charlotte, N.C.. https://www.keeautotop.com/

If the glass window is not glued in the back it would take someone like them to do it right. Special cleaners and adhesive to install. They also can supply you with Stainless Steel staples to do the install. Most trim shops just use steel ones and they rust really fast.

To get the tack strips out of the back you have to take your top well liner out there are a series of phillips washer head screws holding it in place. It is a pain to get everything out.

I took the top on this car off another donor crashed car and put it on myself. Did not see paying the price the trim shop wanted. I don't have any good pictures of the tack strips that go around the rear. The pics show the rain gutter built into the car. I cleaned and painted with POR and resealed all the seams before putting the top back on.

There are several videos on youtube showing install of convertible top on Mustang. Can be any year they all go on the same pretty much just different shapes.

Hi Dave, do you happen to have a nice non leaking top motor laying around that you would like to sell. Mine is leaking. Thanks, Terry

Latest posts

Back