BAd news?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK folks pulled the plugs out this morning and they all looked like S*&^ and smelled heavily of gas. Cleaned them with the fancy spark plug sand blaster my uncle has and reinstalled them. Did not have a chance to do much else as my uncle is dealing with a very sick wife. So I finished up and did the proper thing. Drove the thing hard and enjoyed every minute of it. Think I may need to readjust my CAlTracs still getting wheel hop all the way through first and half way through second till it settles down to a nice spin. Oh and If you carry anything in the little map light box, it will find the back seat on a hard launch.
You may want to get a handle on the tune before you drive the car much more. Does your oil smell like gas? All that gas is washing down your cylinders causing premature wear.

What kind of carb is it again?
Its a Holley 850 Dp. The oil looks, feels, smells normal.

Roy, are the plugs wet or sooty? They look kinda shiny. Can you post a closer pic of a couple of the plugs?
Jeff click on it and it will expand to a good shot of them. And yes to both.

Last edited by a moderator:
You gotta remember... I'm old! I am afraid it looks like oil consumption. I was hoping for a bigger photo to be sure.
Still need to dig a little deeper but as the MOTTO was when it was being built "IT IS WHAT IT IS" we will deal with it;)
I love your MOTTO, Roy. My brother-in-law was hit while walking by a drunk driver about 5 years ago, severe brain injury, both legs broken in many places, etc. When he woke up from the coma 2 weeks later and the docs told him what happened, he said, "Well, it is what it is". He's now recovered almost completely (still a little "slow" with some things) but he has a great attitude and works full-time making surgical instruments. My wife and I now approach our "problems" with that quote.

Not sure I agree with the over carb'd comment. I found this article http://www.gapponline.net/2011/09/24/bossing-the-351/ Now while they were working with a Boss 351 engine, any modern performance cam can exceed the Boss factory spec cam fairy easily

they used a 850 DP jetted 80 on the primary and 80 on the secondary circuits.

So while you might be over carb'd I would not bet on it. An engine can only suck in as much air as it can, a big carb doesn't mean more fuel automatically, but improper jetting and tuning can.

I do agree that a prompt resolution is important to the life of your engine.

Back