Ballpark value of 4300D (Spreadbore) carbs

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill73Ragtop

Long time vintage mustang hobbyist
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1969 Convertible Restomod enhanced.
former owner (25 yrs) of 1973 Convertible, 351c, A/C, RA
I have two 4300D spread bore carbs. One was rebuilt by Pony Carbs and one was a remanufactured purchased as a spare from a vendor.

Both carbs ran well. The Pony Carb rebuild ran very well. I ran them for a few years on a 71 M-code engine I had installed in the car back in the mid-90's. In 2002 I rebuilt my H-code and re-installed it back in the car with an Edelbrock performer intake. For a while I ran a 500cfm Demon, but replaced it with a Holley 600cfm Street Avenger due to problems with the Demon.

They have been sitting in a drawer in my work area since 2002. They are no longer shiny, but are completely intact. One is dated for 1972, the other for 1974. An acquaintance has a 72 Q-code he currently runs with Holly 600cfm carb and a makeshift adapter.

He recently asked if he could buy one. I told him we should test them first to see how they perform.

Any thoughts on ballpark value? Thanks.

The 72 carb worth more for sure..To a restore person..Do any still have there tags still on them? I know from pony they costed 800 bucks rebuilt.

Missing tags and rebuilt...They bring anywhere from $300 too 500 now days....But counts on the tag and what car it went too..Some 4300d's..Like for a boss and the tags to prove it can bring in 3,000 or more....but i would say missing tags and in nice shape..Would not be too crazy to ask 250 or more...Good price for a 715 cfm carb i think...If it was me....I would want a good $350-400 bucks for the 72 carb sence it was rebuilt by pony...They claimed to have fixed issues with it.....If it works properly...the motorcraft 74 carb i would ask $250-300 ..they are more common ..If they was fresh and polished..I would want more...Thats if i owned them and had them sitting around...I think it is fair priced for good used carbs.

I still got mine sitting in the box with original tag on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The 72 carb worth more for sure..To a restore person..Do any still have there tags still on them? I know from pony they costed 800 bucks rebuilt.

Missing tags and rebuilt...They bring anywhere from $300 too 500 now days....But counts on the tag and what car it went too..Some 4300d's..Like for a boss and the tags to prove it can bring in 3,000 or more....but i would say missing tags and in nice shape..Would not be too crazy to ask 250 or more...Good price for a 715 cfm carb i think...If it was me....I would want a good $350-400 bucks for the 72 carb sence it was rebuilt by pony...They claimed to have fixed issues with it.....If it works properly...the motorcraft 74 carb i would ask $250-300 ..they are more common ..If they was fresh and polished..I would want more...Thats if i owned them and had them sitting around...I think it is fair priced for good used carbs.

I still got mine sitting in the box with original tag on it.
Thanks, that's very helpful. I looked up the 72 - its for a manual transmission mustang....I guess now we'll have to see how (if) they operate correctly.

Carb value,

I can only speak to the 73 4300D since I have spent the last several months trying to track one down. They are out there, and I was able to purchase a nice core for $75. After purchase, I found another one for $60.

There are examples on ebay for BIN's of the same carb D3ZF-MA that are rebuilt that range from $199 to $250.

I have seen the 72s go for the same price range.

Jeff

Carb value,

I can only speak to the 73 4300D since I have spent the last several months trying to track one down. They are out there, and I was able to purchase a nice core for $75. After purchase, I found another one for $60.

There are examples on ebay for BIN's of the same carb D3ZF-MA that are rebuilt that range from $199 to $250.

I have seen the 72s go for the same price range.

Jeff
Well the 72 carb is rebuilt by pony carbs..Which claimed...Im not sure if correct.

Both variants of the 4300 have been criticized for poor acceleration, rough operation, and a potential for fire due to a poor fuel inlet design.

Rebuilding company Pony Carburetors (now defunct) claimed that they were successful in redesigning the 4300's internal design to offset most of these issues

Costed 800 bucks to get one or more..I think they got up too 899 from pony for one...I would not take no less than 350 for it just cause it was rebuilt by them...they had a hell of a rep before going down....If it works great and nice and is clean...But that just me i guess..lol

On ebay now..Cheapest 4300d rebuilt is 299..That does not including shipping nor tax and paying pay pal... http://www.ebay.com/itm/FORD-4BBL-CARBURETOR-MOTORCRAFT-4300D-ELECTRIC-CHOKE-1973-74-260-289-302-351-352-/290922457528?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item43bc5469b8&vxp=mtr#ht_721wt_1399

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1973-D3ZF-9510-MA-MUSTANG-MOTORCRAFT-4300D-4-BARREL-CARBURETOR-RESTORED-YR-WARR-/251296835211?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3a8275668b&vxp=mtr#ht_2031wt_1161 Highest priced is almost 495...Not including shipping and such.....So in your face price..250-300 not a bad deal if they work great.

Both variants of the 4300 have been criticized for poor acceleration, rough operation, and a potential for fire due to a poor fuel inlet design.

I can attest to the issues with the 4300D I had my 71. I wanted to keep the car as original as possible while still having a dependable weekend cruiser but I gave up on the 4300D that was on my car. Even after spending over $400.00 shipping it off to have it "rebuilt" it still was prone to flooding and soon developed (2-3 months) the same issues, hard starting, rough operation, gas smell. Might have been a poor rebuild but I gave up and put an Edlebrook Thunder Series on it...much smoother acceleration, better starting and no issues with leaks or flooding since I've had it on. The 4300D sits in a box in the garage. I know some people have had good luck with the Autolite 4300D, I can just say night and day difference when I swapped mine out with the Edlebrock.

Thanks for all the observations on a subject that is not discussed nearly enough (IMO)

BTW: The 72 carb was rebuilt by Pony when they were still based in Central NY. It actually went back for a 2nd re-build after the first effort by Pony resulted in a carb that would not run past 60 seconds....after arguing with Jon for about 30 minutes (he insisted I did not have the engine timed properly since I used a timing light and vacuum gauge) he finally was agreeable to taking another look at it. When it came back the 2nd time it had a bag of internal parts in the box they had replaced. After that it ran quite well for about 4 years until I stored it away. Both carbs are Motorcraft.

Back