Blower failure?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73 q code

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q- code Mach 1
Start heater blower today, only run at full speed and make noises. Checked resistor fin it ok and then i think heater switch could struggle. The car hasn`t run for years. Just want to have a tips before i remove heater box (a lot of work)

did you try direct power to the blower terminals to see if the unit itself works in all positions? then check the blower controls at the dash. could have rusty connectors at the plug-in connector. for the noises, guys here have lubed the blower motor itself with success. I bought a new blower motor only to find that my old one (A/C car) worked better at moving air.

If the blower is noisy, it needs to come out and be lubricated, or replaced if it's bad.

Pull the triple terminal plug off the resistor and check for 12V at each wire in low, med and high speed positions. If you only get voltage in high, then you have to work your way back to the switch. If the switch has a problem, you can carefully bend back the tabs on the switch housing and check the internal contacts.

Sometimes it helpful to unplug and plug the connectors a couple times to clean the surfaces on cars that have sat.

Wiring diagrams are here: https://wiki.7173mustangs.com/

Back