Boostering with the Dewey...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baz70

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1, White
hi all - as i'm working through my restoration to do list, i will need to get my booster refurbished at some point. 

It seems from my reading, that most folks go to Booster Dewey, which is probably economically sensible if you're on your side of the pond. But for me that may not be a cheap option (nothing is I guess).

So i was wondering, given the charge is around 100 bucks to refurb, that's about a couple of hours work. So, has anyone taken the plunge and refurbed their booster themselves ? Are there any special tools required, any online guides  ? any refurb kits available ? or should i just bite the bullet and post it internationally to Booster Dewey to take care of. thanks

I can tell you a little.

I just sent my booster from my 1973 Mach 1 to Booster Dewey yesterday by USPS Priority mail that gets it there tomorrow and it cost $59.40 with $200 insurance on the shipment. UPS was almost exactly the same but much easier to do USPS.

The cost to refurbish is $155 according to their web site. 1965 -1990.

I was a tool and die maker and automotive engineer. I have no idea how you would get the two halves apart without a special fixture to bend the tabs locking it. Take a look around the outside of the booster. They also blast it and clean and paint or plate to what you want. I ask for Semi Gloss Black like original.

I have no idea where you would find the components inside either.

I spent hours cleaning and refinishing mine on the 73 vert and it was bad anyway. I cannot get it out or would have sent both at same time.

I am getting a rush job so hope they ship back this week. I will share pics when it gets back.

Here is what it looked like leaving.

I was going to do my master cylinder but the screw that retains the piston in the bottom is eaten up almost. I got it out using a center punch but there is no hex left in the button head screw. Will check some of my parts stash.

Here is the link to Booster Dewey's site or actually Power Brake Booster Exchange, Inc. 4335 SE 63rd. AVE, Portland Oregon 97206-3768

I can tell you a little.

I just sent my booster from my 1973 Mach 1 to Booster Dewey yesterday by USPS Priority mail that gets it there tomorrow and it cost $59.40 with $200 insurance on the shipment. UPS was almost exactly the same but much easier to do USPS.

I was a tool and die maker and automotive engineer. I have no idea how you would get the two halves apart without a special fixture to bend the tabs locking it. Take a look around the outside of the booster. They also blast it and clean and paint or plate to what you want. I ask for Semi Gloss Black like original.

I spent hours cleaning and refinishing mine on the 73 vert and it was bad anyway. I cannot get it out or would have sent both at same time.

I am getting a rush job so hope they ship back this week. I will share pics when it gets back.

I was going to do my master cylinder but the screw that retains the piston in the bottom is eaten up almost. I got it out using a center punch but there is no hex left in the button head screw. Will check some of my parts stash.

Here is the link to Booster Dewey's site or actually Power Brake Booster Exchange, Inc. 4335 SE 63rd. AVE, Portland Oregon 97206-3768

thanks for the insight, funny i was reading your thread earlier and that prompted me to ask about the booster. Will be good to see the results when your booster comes back, and if you're happy with it. I'll then have to figure out if someone i work with can post it when they're in the States to reduce shipping costs.... Keep up the great work on your 73 (PS - i had to do a double take when i saw the floorpans, as the dark colour on the footwell looked like a gaping big hole !)

A few years ago, I got a reman from Cardone here in Canada. I think it was about the only one available at the time. This was without a core, didn't have one anyway. Might be worth checking Cardone's website, who knows they might have one already done. Did you check Rock Auto as well? Also, what about Leeds Brakes I believe it is, as they apparently sell them new. Check around before you ship it off at huge expense.

If you do decide to buy new, please do NOT buy the Bendix style that some vendors try to sell as "correct for the 71-73" more accurately "65-73" You need the one like you took off, the 11" diameter (?).

Just my thought on it.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can tell you a little.

They do plate it anything you want but not chrome. With my booster I had to farm that out, had to pay 4 shipping charges shipping it back and forth LOL!

You can check Youtube there's one guy taking apart a Dodge/Chrysler booster.

Back