Boss 351 was one of the best muscle cars of its time - internet article

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An interesting approach to an article, where the headline is "10 Reasons The 1971 Ford Mustang Boss 351 Was One Of The Best Muscle Cars Of Its Time" and yet two of the reasons listed ("Could You Daily A Boss 351" and "Ford’s Compromising Style") deliberately refer to the Boss as "a fat pig" and "tubby" and refers to the age-old complaints of poor rear visibility as if looking in the rear view mirror is something Mustang owners ever really cared about.

I wonder if the article was AI generated and lacked the ability to discern that two of those ten reasons pretty much say that a Boss 351 isn't one of the best muscle cars of it's time....

IMO, it's either AI-generated, or just plain poorly written, for those reasons. The author doesn't seem to know what direction he/she/it wants to go.

I will debate the weight numbers for the Boss 302 and Boss 351. I have owned both. The B2 weighed more than stated and the B1 weighed less than stated. Written by a dumb ass either human or AI. Chuck

I saw an article on the computer at work today, which said the '71 Mach 1 429 Drag Pack was a high 13 second car, making it the fastest stock mustang, I'm guessing, from the "muscle car " era. I was thinking the '68 428 Cobra Jet was the fastest stocker. What do I know?

Back in the day, motor trend and car and driver reported specs and performance of most of the new cars. The problem with published quarter mile times is the many variables of weight, gear ratios, transmissions, tire types and sizes, weather and track conditions. Also, the factory tune changed moving forward through the years to meet emissions.
The Boss351 did have a better quarter mile than the 429 according to magazine tests, but consider the gear ratios, the amount of torque the 429 produced and trying to get traction on F-70 or F-60 tires, also track conditions and temperatures. Two or three tenths is not much considering all of the variables.
The Boss351 has an advantage. Its engine is lighter and shorter than the 429, meaning better weight distribution combined with less torque probably made for better off the line traction.
I think it would be interesting to test a SCJ 429 and aBoss351, both with stock engines, although allowing carb and ignition tuning along with slicks.
In the end, they are both awesome engines.

Back