Bought a 73 Mach 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Welcome from coastal Alabama! Your car looks nice. It appears to have 15" trim rings, if so don't be too quick to sell them b/c they are hard to find now.

Thanks Don. I didn't know the 15's were hard to find. To be honest, I haven't even looked to see if they are 14's or 15's. I plan to swap them with my weld racing wheels as soon as the car gets home. The guy that owns it is really nice and I can make payments on it till the wife gets her disability or income tax next year. I'd be able to buy it outright but I just bought a 91 Z28 and an 11,000 original mile 95 Thunderbird back in February. I just want to get it drivable so I can play with it while I restore my 88 Iroc convertible for my daughter.

Thank you to everyone that welcomed me to the site. Chris

Chris, if you swap the wheels out then throw the trim rings and dog dishes in a box and save them (going along with what Don said). Even if you don't use them, someone will probably want to buy them off you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Chris and ::welcome:: to the forum.

BTW mine was all rotten and beat up but did not need a taillight panel. Must have been the one exception. :)

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Sounds like you have several projects to keep you busy. Keep us posted on your progress and we always like more pictures.

Yea, I've got a few to keep my going. BTW, the reason mine will need a tail light panel is because it had been tapped at some point just enough to push it in some in the center and separate it at the tail lights. It has a new rear bumper on the car also. Surprisingly, it has a pop open gas cap as well. It was probably put on when the bumper was replaced.

I showed the wife a Grabber Lime car last night, and she seems ok with that. I was originally thinking Grabber Blue, but it's a pretty popular color. Oh, well...I have lots of time to decide. I'll talk to you guys later, Chris

Don, you have a very good eye sir. I went over to the car again, it DOES indeed have 15in wheels. The trim rings are pretty rough but they are all there along with the caps.

Chris

I went by the car again today. Everytime I go over there I see something I didn't notice before. The taillight panel is pushed in a little, but NOT separated.

The right taillight is loose at the bottom..silly me, should have noticed that. I also saw inside the trunk for the first time. The floor is good! So are the wheel houses on the inside. There is also a brand new, in the box, headliner and all of the hardware to put it in the car.

I also found the car to be a factory A/C car...cool. I was told the car was kind of a butterscotch color, and the inside of the trunklid is that color, BUT there is red paint under everything else, and dark blue paint in places as well. There is red paint in the door jams (between the door and fender), and under the headliner. I'm starting to believe she MIGHT be a factory red car, although the RPO sticker on the door is long gone. Someone COULD have gone through a lot of trouble to change colors. I'll have to get a Marti report to be sure.

Just thought I'd share what I've found out, Chris

Well, I am glad your wife lkes the car. It is always a happier experience with your other half behind you. I hope we can help you with info. ::welcome::

Welcome to the site Chris. Nice '73 Mach I.

I'm working on one of ours currently, 73 convertible with 351c. Just rebuilt engine, built an AOD to replace the C6 and currently replacing cowl.

Show me any 71-73 that doesn't need a tail light panel and I'll show you that it's a garage queen that never has seen daylight.
Or it's a desert car.
First ... Welcome Arkansas guy!! nice find that car looks VERY straight!!!

Mine didnt!!!! :D:D:D she was far from a garage car... but has lived in Houston all its life. I had one run of rust along the trunk floor about the width and length of a pencil though. the only other rust on mine was the spot in the front quarter under the rr glass.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice, can't wait to see the final product.

WELCOME aboard, Chris!

Yes, I would strongly recommend ordering the Marti report ASAP as that may very well help you in making the decision on how to begin your "journey."

Whatever approach you decide to take, I am sure you will be able to garner support and insight from the Members here. I strongly encourage you to go through the different Forums and please do not hesitate to comment and/or ask any question that may arise.

Again Welcome and I look forward to interacting with you on the Site!

BT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back