Starting A New 72 Mach 1 Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When replacing that rear quarter sheet metal be aware also that the 71-72 sheet-metal around the bumper area is also different to a 73.

One day at a work car show somebody looked at my 72 and said "Is that large gap around the end of the bumper from factory?"
I'd had the car about 10 years and hadn't actually noticed, but the gap at the bumper on the drivers side was substantially bigger than the one on the passenger side. I had always known that my car had been repaired on the drivers quarter, but it was only at that point that I realized that the donor metal had come from a 73.
Not true... Rear quarters are all the same from 71-73 except between body styles. The difference is 73 bumper mounts, end caps and a filler panel between body and bumper for a NHTSA mandated 2-1/2 MPH impact rear.
If you measure both brackets. You might have a 71-72 bumper mount on one side and a 73 mount on the other....

Not true... Rear quarters are all the same from 71-73 except between body styles. The difference is 73 bumper mounts, end caps and a filler panel between body and bumper for a NHTSA mandated 2-1/2 MPH impact rear.
If you measure both brackets. You might have a 71-72 bumper mount on one side and a 73 mount on the other....

An interesting contradiction; measured from back edge of the panel the length of the scallop on the my passenger side is 1.5" wide and the scallop on the drivers side (replaced panel) is 2" wide.
My bumper is where it should be for a 1972, so bumper mounts are correct. Was the scallop size different between a sportsroof and a coupe perhaps?

scallop.jpgscallop2.jpg

Nope, they are the same to match bumper contour. Good chance someone did bodywork to it. Measure distance from marker light to curve edge on both. The right side looks wider than left. Then look inside trunk for signs of repairs. Don't forget to check both brackets distance from body to bumper...

Only real difference is later NOS D3ZZ replacement quarter panels had 2 drilled holes for corner spacers in recess.

Nope, they are the same to match bumper contour. Good chance someone did bodywork to it. Measure distance from marker light to curve edge on both. The right side looks wider than left. Then look inside trunk for signs of repairs. Don't forget to check both brackets distance from body to bumper...

Only real difference is later NOS D3ZZ replacement quarter panels had 2 drilled holes for corner spacers in recess.

Yep, you are absolutely correct Ib4stangs, I just peered down at that area of the trunk for the first time with a torch and I can see evidence of welding around the scallop, it's been repaired with body-work and some filler. There is a lot of evidence of panel straightening on that quarter panel when seen from inside the trunk, and because of the different size scallop I jumped to a conclusion that part of the panel had been replaced with a 73. The good news for me is that I still have my original panel, but the bad news is the person way-back-when who repaired the car did a non-symmetrical job of it!

To original poster William Justice, ignore my previous post saying the panels from a 73 are different!

So I now have the trunk pan welded in and sealed. Took a little longer than I expected due to some travel and other life stuff. Not terribly difficult just taking my time.

Is anyone aware of a good thread that may have some good pics or decent overview of installing the taillight panel? Unfortunately, my mustang's was completely rotted out when I bought it. Thus, I cannot simply reverse the order of disassembly because it wasn't there in the first place. I'm mostly concerned about installing in the proper order and fitment with the other tail pieces.

I was lucky that the previous owner had most of the body pieces I need..Now it feels like I'm assembling a lego set with no instructions.

Latest posts

Back