Bracket for Kick Down Lever for 351 H code-FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

griffbl

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Mach 1
2014 Ford F150
2018 Porsche Panamera

[url=https://ibb.co/i2uhXQ][img]https://preview.ibb.co/h0A0K5/815f.jpg[/img][/url]
Guys (and Gals :)) I just had my kick down rod adjusted on my H code FMX equipped (i say that as I have seen a few H codes with C6's).  It works perfectly now, but my shop mentioned he thought there was originally  some kind of "guide" or bracket that helped limit play on the hollow kick down tube so as to direct the force of the kick down tube directly to the lever on the side of the transmission.  Before adjustment, the the kick down rod (hollow tube) kind of splayed out to the side, and therefore did not push adequately on the transmission lever.  In any event, it is working ok now.

Back to the bracket, or guide, as I was trying to describe.  Did these cars have one that attached either to the intake manifold or somewhere to limit sideways travel, or focus the movement of the hollow tube straight at the lever on the side of the transmission? If they exist, I am looking for one!  Many Thanks!

Brad

I've never seen one, and have had several Ford with automatics. They do tend to flop a little, and more when the bushings at both ends get worn. Because it kind of floats and doesn't take much pressure to move it a bracket may hang it up. The bracket would have to be a slotted shape to accommodate the up and down and back and forth movements. A Lokar kickdown cable may be the cleanest way to go, unless you want originality.

I've been busy on that KD thing for my FMX and got that lever/tube out.

Its shaped in a way is also 'guiding'. As a real guide would introduce friction,

It would require the tube/lever to be stronger/heavier.

If you go for the Lokar 'kit', just know you buy an expensive cable,

The bracket they provide is nowhere near what is necessary for FMX

In case of, i've made a pdf to print to reduce a bracket that is

Doing it correctly. Any modern bicycle breaks cable would also do fine with it.

The Lokar cable looks nice tho. Search in most recent Holley Sniper thread

(on the go atm and forgot url)

thanks for the responses Don and Fabrice. Since it is working just fine now, I will leave well enough alone. I do not think new bushings are available, (are they?) but the shop offered to use some brass ones they had when I need them. Thanks!

Back