Brake lights lenses

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you already have decent tail lights but look grungy, if you carefully strip them down to clean and repaint the aluminum (only on 71-72's) you can use "brake fluid" on the acrylic plastic to remove any and all paint, crud etc. However, if the housings are bad, maybe time for replacements.
Here's a pic of what cleaned up lenses could look like.
NOTE: if you decide to go this route, carefully reseal with a good RTV product including behind the aluminum center strips yellow arrow. I also used black body sealer around the outside to prevent any leaks, red arrow. (the lights on my car is not the restored one pictured, I just used this pic to show meaning).

Attachments

• DSC00438.JPG
    DSC00438.JPG
    4.3 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC00442_LI.jpg
    DSC00442_LI.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 1
If your red lenses are beyond cleeeaning up and in need of replacement, there is soon going to be an aalternative. Mario has been working on designing and producing non-oem tail light lenses for over a year. He is apparently close to wrapping the design and goin into production. Here is a link to a post on Facebook:

If your red lenses are beyond cleeeaning up and in need of replacement, there is soon going to be an aalternative. Mario has been working on designing and producing non-oem tail light lenses for over a year. He is apparently close to wrapping the design and goin into production. Here is a link to a post on Facebook:
Need to find the missing link here, Gil.

This is what I ended up doing, all the chrome parts were buffed up with 80 grit from the previous owner, should I have replaced them...? Probably, but I must have been tired of throwing money at the Mach that day. The SEM in the spray can lays down a lot nicer than the SEM in the quart can. I used an HVLP with a 04 nozzle. I coated parts with a Direct To Metal (DTM) primer to fill the defects.

Also, do yourself a favor and get the Fine Line masking tape.

Attachments

• IMG_1147.JPG
    IMG_1147.JPG
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
This is what I ended up doing, all the chrome parts were buffed up with 80 grit from the previous owner, should I have replaced them...? Probably, but I must have been tired of throwing money at the Mach that day. The SEM in the spray can lays down a lot nicer than the SEM in the quart can. I used an HVLP with a 04 nozzle. I coated parts with a Direct To Metal (DTM) primer to fill the defects.

Also, do yourself a favor and get the Fine Line masking tape.
I actually like those.

Latest posts

Back