Broke yet another Throttle Cable.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Electrical feed back is not something most would even think of, but definitely worth checking. However in my case, I know the connections are new, clean and good. That said I will double check.
My thoughts right now is to take the Lokar carb connector idea and machine my own. I don't like the set screw to hold the cable into that connector (if that is what it is). I will then use the existing cable outer, use a thicker ss inner cable and make up a new, replaceable pedal connection, yet to be devised. I want something that is easily repairable but hope I never need to again.
When you manually open and close the throttle lever on your carb does it function smoothly-no binding or hang-ups causing excessive tension on the cable?

Another thing to check is if you need a pedal stop.

If the pedal moves farther than the carb can go you are stretching the cable every time you floor it

Ideally have someone push the pedal with it disconnected at the carb. Then move the carb to full throttle. They should line up. If the cable is short that may be the issue.

When you manually open and close the throttle lever on your carb does it function smoothly-no binding or hang-ups causing excessive tension on the cable?
Yes, no problems there.
I was just at a local shop that repair snowmobiles and ATV's etc. I wasn't able to get exactly what I'm looking for regards a cable with a ball at one end. The guy made a good suggestion about why it breaks at the same point. If you can imagine this; when the throttle is opened, the cable is pulled but when it returns it flexes at the pedal and maybe because the cable is too flexible, over time, it fatigues and breaks. That is logical to me and something I'm definitely going to look into.

Another thing to check is if you need a pedal stop.

If the pedal moves farther than the carb can go you are stretching the cable every time you floor it

Ideally have someone push the pedal with it disconnected at the carb. Then move the carb to full throttle. They should line up. If the cable is short that may be the issue.
Thanks, I'll be checking everything, but I don't believe that to be the problem.
I'll certainly post my findings as I get this resolved, hopefully forever.
It may be sometime before I get to it now though.

Electrical feed back is not something most would even think of, but definitely worth checking. However in my case, I know the connections are new, clean and good. That said I will double check.
My thoughts right now is to take the Lokar carb connector idea and machine my own. I don't like the set screw to hold the cable into that connector (if that is what it is). I will then use the existing cable outer, use a thicker ss inner cable and make up a new, replaceable pedal connection, yet to be devised. I want something that is easily repairable but hope I never need to again.
Hey Geoff I had mine break a while back. Replaced with an NOS one and all good.

Well guys, I just scored an NOS throttle cable for 20 bucks Cdn. It has only a part of the label, but with the plastic clip end, I think it's a 73. The guy I got it from was a Ford parts manager and just happened to have this in his "stash". All I can see appears to be 07- 9A, or it could be 0Z -9A, too hard to read. Steve, any ideas???
So, now I need to pull the pedal out of the car to see if I can adapt this to my 71. If not I still have plan A in the works that will give me a replaceable inner cable should it ever break again.

Attachments

• 20240615_152502.jpg
    20240615_152502.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240615_152550.jpg
    20240615_152550.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240615_152554.jpg
    20240615_152554.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20240615_152611.jpg
    20240615_152611.jpg