Built 73 Q Code Mach 1 Walkaround.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Can you tell me what black did you use to paint the hood?
Brand, Paint code?
Thanks for your time
My Q is Glow Gold.
I wish I could, then I’d know to never use it on anything else. It’s god awful, feels like 120 grit sandpaper or bedliner. The painter my grandfather used, used the wrong paint, never fessed up to it or offered to correct it and told my grandfather not to ever contact him again. Someday I will have it redone with the correct satin black. It’s almost impossible to clean with any type of rag. It takes a very specific type of microfiber tower to not break apart on it.

What exhaust do you have on the car? I just can't seem to get mine right. Just doesn't sound as aggressive as I
want, but I don't want to get too agressive. Yours sounds good.
Hooker super comp straight piped back to dynomax mufflers

I wish I could, then I’d know to never use it on anything else. It’s god awful, feels like 120 grit sandpaper or bedliner. The painter my grandfather used, used the wrong paint, never fessed up to it or offered to correct it and told my grandfather not to ever contact him again. Someday I will have it redone with the correct satin black. It’s almost impossible to clean with any type of rag. It takes a very specific type of microfiber tower to not break apart on it.
I’m not sure about 71/73 Mustangs but 70-71 Torinos with blacked out hoods had textured black paint so it might be correct. But you are right it’s hard to take care of.

I’m not sure about 71/73 Mustangs but 70-71 Torinos with blacked out hoods had textured black paint so it might be correct. But you are right it’s hard to take care of.
This is different, I’ve seen a couple original paint 71-73s, none were even close to being this rough.

"Six turnin' and four burnin". My late father sold Pratt & Whitney Recip engines, something I grew up with, and the reason for me hazarding a guess. I went to Aviation Mechanics School and hold an A&P, so again, enough to take a guess. Photo is me in school.

Attachments

• aircraft mechanic.jpg
    aircraft mechanic.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 0
Beautiful car and it sounds incredible! The red paint is amazing and I can see you are doing a great job maintaining the paint, it looks awesome!

Just my two cents worth, you may want to cover your license plate or blur it in anything you are posting, especially to YouTube. There are a lot of not so nice people out there who can track plate numbers. I apologize for sounding sexist, but especially being a young lady, I would recommend you cover the plate number. Sorry, just my dad-mode kicking in, my sons and daughter-in-laws don't always appreciate it, but I just can't help myself sometimes.

Anyways, it really is a beautiful car! I am sure your Grandpa is smiling down watching you enjoy and caretake his Mach 1!

Beautiful Mach 1. I have a cousin 73 Mach 1 that we had a deep re$toration performed on about 3 years ago. It is still as gforgeous now as it was then (walk-around on our below). I took note that your rear wind spoiled is mounted correctly with the thick edge facing forward. I remain shocked at how many of those rear wing spoilers are mounted with the thin edge forward, likely because of the counter-intuitive sweep of the wing tips.

I also took note of the flip down fuel cap, which was not an option from the factory in 1973. The prior owner of our 73 Mach also installed a flip down fuel cap from a 1971 Mustang. I like the look, and the practicality. It is also really nice to see you aare running on Magnum 500 wheels. I hear so many folks say they are too common. For me, I like pretty much any wheel on these cars, but the Magnum 500s remain my favorite. Shout out to Slot Dish. and Crager mags. Also very nice looking.

I also noticed the rear valance cutouts for the tail pipe outlet. Our Mach 1 started its life as a very base model with a 302 2v engine and C4 three speed auto tranny, and backed by a 2.79:1 rear axle ratio. Somewhere along the way the prior owner gor his hands on a rear valance with the factory cutouts also. And, to get rid of the black, sooty exhaust buildup of soot when the engine is cold and running rich, I installed some exhaust tips, similar looking to yours. I even shot a video on the installation of the chrome tips that extended the tips far enough away from the valance to stop the soot from collecting on the valance.

https://youtu.be/FUEmLN7pqXM

So, our Mach 1 was originally set up for fairly good fuel economy, but was not exactly a street contender on terms of performance. The prior owner replaced the 302 with a 351W (from a 1994 F-150) built for moderate street/strip with 360HP on a dyno. He also swapped the rear axle gear for a 3.5:1TractionLok gear set. And we replaced the C4 with an AOD four speed automatic tranny. It is quite spirited, and also has a nice upper end level of performance due to both the OverDrive tranny, and the engine having the power to push through the high oevel of air resistance at higher speeds.

It is a shame our cars are so far apart geographically. I do not know about your area, but out here (Rochester, NY area) I see very few Big Nose Mustangs. Very few. I like seeing other when they do show up at various car shows. Usually they are well treated and look really nice. Ours has quite of a bit of flair, with the spoilers, louver slats, hood locks, and blackout treatment. But, it is the look I wanted.

https://youtu.be/_Fl0B-qmlLI

Chief Two Belly ask about what black paint you used. I thought I would offer my two cents' Our main color is PPG Orange Sunset, a transluscent fine grain metallic, shot over a white base. Our black-out is PPG Hot Rod Black Satin. The satin provide plenty of reflective defraction, similar to a flat black look. But the surface is smooth, so it is easy to keep clean and does not capture and hold various sompunds it may come in touch with.

Nice video, awesome car!!! Love the sound. Also like the hood blackout. Some may disagree, but I believe the blackout is supposed be flat, no sheen. I had a Torino Cobra and the blackout was flat and somewhat rough and I believe it was as it left the factory. All the pictures I have seen from 1970-1971 appears to be flat black. I make this point because in the past, some have argued that it originally had a sheen which I disagreed with. Other than the aesthetic, the point of the blackout was to eliminate glare.
Anyway, love your car, it looks and sounds perfect.

Back