Bumper comparison with gaurds

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible(some day)
I wanted to find a bumper that would work with my OEM 73 bumper guards. I heard bad things and saw some bad fitment and had a situation where I bought a Dynacorn bumper but was sent a Scott drake. I'm including some pics on fitment. The really bad ones are SD, the ones with tape are the Dynacorn, and the others are my OEM bumper. Dynacorn cost $40 more but worth it to me. Dynacorn says there are like 5 suppliers but they only use one because of quality. Maybe save the $40 if you don't want to use your guards.

20160507_074317.jpg

20160507_074320.jpg

20160612_171551.jpg

20160612_171717.jpg

20160612_171337.jpg

20160612_171339.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
sdstang, sure glad you posted those pictures. Just further verifies how much junk/crap is being sold to unsuspecting folks and being touted as good as or same as OE! There have been some earlier posts on this same subject and your pictures certainly verify what our members have run into trying to fit their bumper guards to these junk bumpers. I'm really disappointed in the quality of some of the Scott Drake products I've seen. I believe it's like Don (OMS) said. A lot of his offerings are just his sticker on someone else's product and let somebody else worry about the fit or quality. Glad you were able to purchase a Dynacorn bumper that your bumper guards fit. Like you said, it cost you $40.00 more but at least it worked.

Why not re-chrome the oem bumber??

Good info here. I went with a bumper without the guards because I think it gives a cleaner look but I did try the fitment with the guards on my OE bumper with the new one and it wasn't even close. Looks like I have the bumper in the 1st picture. At least I know which bumper to get if I ever change it back. Good post!!!

Why not re-chrome the oem bumber??
Two reasons. One was it was 350 to rechrome vs reproduction. The other was my oem bumper has the rubber strip along the length of the bumper and I think it was just a little to utility for a muscle car. Bumber guards give it just a little bit more chrome. I like chrome.

Jim

Hi Jim,

You are the MAN!::thumb::::thumb::

Thanks for posting your story up on the Forum. What you have found here with your own research and experience, is a breakthrough for me.

My story goes like this. My original '73 Vert rear bar (with bumper guards) had a small or shallow concave dent in the middle of it, and the original chrome was looking very tired with age. The first thing i did going back a few years ago, was to buy a repro rear bar from America, and try and put my re chromed original bumber guards on the new repro bar. Big mistake there.:mad: Like you, my bumper guards did not fit on the original bar at all well. See my original post - Another Repro Rip .............................

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-another-repro-rip

BTW - if any Forum member wants my crappy repro bar, you can have it for free, just pay for shipping costs back to America or where ever.

So what to do now. I was planning on getting the original bar done up again by straightening the dent, and re chroming the bar as well., BUT THE QUOTE FOR DOING THAT WORK HAS COME IN AT AROUND $500.00 TO $600.00 DOLLARS AUSTRALIAN TO DO A GOOD JOB. However, if this Dynacorn rear bar has a good profile contour to it and is of good quality, then it could be just what i'm after. Thank God some one is reproducing and manufacturing a rear bar that actually is a decent product and works.:banana::banana::banana::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Do you know where you bought it from, and how much you paid for it Jim? And what's the chrome finish on the bar like as well? Does Sir Don from Ohio Mustang deal in the Dynacorn rear bars?

Lastly, it cost me a $100.00 Au each to get my two bumper guards re chromed, and i did all the metal prep work (hand filing, smoothing, and old chrome removal) before they went to the chrome shop.

When you stop and think about it, owning a '59 Caddy for example would kill you in re chrome costs wouldn't it.:p:p:p

Thanks again,

Greg.:)

We have quite a few car / swap / meet shows here in Florida and at the larger ones, there is always a tractor trailer load of re-chromed original bumpers. I have some gear heads that own Mopars (cough, cough, hack) and they have purchased bumpers from these guys. The company will also ship them. It's all they sell, and are always busy at the shows.. The Mopar bumpers cost about $200 each. They do not sell aftermarket bumpers, only re-chromed originals..

There are big shows coming up starting in October thru the winter here in Florida, so if I can remember, I'll get their information and post it..

All,

Not a bit surprised with this thread. Per my threads , I found the re-chrome pretty expensive. I did find one place that was reasonable on the bumper guards.

Cost to re-chrome your Mustang guards would be $75 each. Additional charges may apply for shipping and/or sales tax (if shipped to [or] picked up in TN or PA).

Tri City Plating Co., Inc

218 E. Mill St.

Elizabethton, TN 37643

800-251-7536

423-542-1691

+ 1 with piper62j

Here are two of my threads related to the 1973 Rear Bumper with the gaurds and impact strips.

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-1973-mustang-rear-bumper-guards?highlight=mustang7173

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-rechroming-vendors-bumpers?highlight=mustang7173

We are fortunately to have Don @ Ohio Mustang Supply watching out for us!

mustang7173 :thankyouyellow:

Hi Jim,

You are the MAN!::thumb::::thumb::

Thanks for posting your story up on the Forum. What you have found here with your own research and experience, is a breakthrough for me.

My story goes like this. My original '73 Vert rear bar (with bumper guards) had a small or shallow concave dent in the middle of it, and the original chrome was looking very tired with age. The first thing i did going back a few years ago, was to buy a repro rear bar from America, and try and put my re chromed original bumber guards on the new repro bar. Big mistake there.:mad: Like you, my bumper guards did not fit on the original bar at all well. See my original post - Another Repro Rip .............................

http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-another-repro-rip

BTW - if any Forum member wants my crappy repro bar, you can have it for free, just pay for shipping costs back to America or where ever.

So what to do now. I was planning on getting the original bar done up again by straightening the dent, and re chroming the bar as well., BUT THE QUOTE FOR DOING THAT WORK HAS COME IN AT AROUND $500.00 TO $600.00 DOLLARS AUSTRALIAN TO DO A GOOD JOB. However, if this Dynacorn rear bar has a good profile contour to it and is of good quality, then it could be just what i'm after. Thank God some one is reproducing and manufacturing a rear bar that actually is a decent product and works.:banana::banana::banana::whistling::whistling::whistling:

Do you know where you bought it from, and how much you paid for it Jim? And what's the chrome finish on the bar like as well? Does Sir Don from Ohio Mustang deal in the Dynacorn rear bars?

Lastly, it cost me a $100.00 Au each to get my two bumper guards re chromed, and i did all the metal prep work (hand filing, smoothing, and old chrome removal) before they went to the chrome shop.

Thanks again,

Greg.:)
Greg,

What I did after i saw how bad the scott drake was I took the gaurd and made a template with cardboard. I then sent it to Dynacorn to have the double check thier bumper.If you look at the pics below I have one of SD, my OEM, and one Dynacorn took and sent back to me. If you want you(or anyone else) can make a template an send it to me. The chrome looks pretty good. Its not tripple plate but they warranty it for one year. They say to keep it waxed and should be good for a long time. I ended up going local for the bumper. Shipping made a big difference. One note though. I have not installed it yet and can't for a month or so. I can double check the lenghts and hole placement if you want. Anyways glad to help. BTW the part number is 3640L

Scott.jpg

Mine.jpg

Dyno.jpg

We have quite a few car / swap / meet shows here in Florida and at the larger ones, there is always a tractor trailer load of re-chromed original bumpers. I have some gear heads that own Mopars (cough, cough, hack) and they have purchased bumpers from these guys. The company will also ship them. It's all they sell, and are always busy at the shows.. The Mopar bumpers cost about $200 each. They do not sell aftermarket bumpers, only re-chromed originals..

There are big shows coming up starting in October thru the winter here in Florida, so if I can remember, I'll get their information and post it..
I think the guys you are referring to are called the Bumper Boyz. I was told that they do the chrome in Mexico so the EPA does not hit them like shops in the U.S.. If you look at the back side of some of their work they do not even clean the rust off. Not all are bad but some are. Plating is a simple process just the EPA hits you so hard with rules and waste control which is not all bad. The prep work is the big thing getting it back straight and then step by step getting all the imperfections out. It might go into the copper tank several times to fill in scratches and pits.

Sometimes they charge you more if you have tried to help them out, lol. If you look at a factory one you see sanding marks, and the grain of the steel. They were 10 feet plating jobs. The good plating shops give you the 1 foot plating job that is like a mirror but nothing like original.

I sent some of my motorcycle parts to a place called "Pauls Chrome".. Don't have any other info on him now, but I do recall he did a beautiful job on them and was what I thought at the time, somewhat expensive.. I believe his company is still in business.. Might be worth a try if you are looking for higher quality re-chrome..

I think the guys you are referring to are called the Bumper Boyz. I was told that they do the chrome in Mexico so the EPA does not hit them like shops in the U.S.. If you look at the back side of some of their work they do not even clean the rust off. Not all are bad but some are. Plating is a simple process just the EPA hits you so hard with rules and waste control which is not all bad. The prep work is the big thing getting it back straight and then step by step getting all the imperfections out. It might go into the copper tank several times to fill in scratches and pits.

Sometimes they charge you more if you have tried to help them out, lol. If you look at a factory one you see sanding marks, and the grain of the steel. They were 10 feet plating jobs. The good plating shops give you the 1 foot plating job that is like a mirror but nothing like original.

Latest posts

Back