C 4 Transmission

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
Hi everyone,

I need your opinion please!

I had my C 4 transmission rebuilt by a reputable builder (in business for over 60 years) and I must say he did a fabulous job, shifts are firm and crisp. But only because I asked him after the build he told me he used Mercon/Dexron because he heard that F Type is going to be fazed out eventually. Since my car is being restored a second time around I drained every ounce of Mercon/Dexron out of my transmission. Now the question is...can I just go ahead and switch back to F Type or should I put Mercon/Dexron back in ? The builder says to stick with what he put in since the parts have been soaked in Mercon/Dexron. I do not like the fact of carrying around 2 different types of transmission fluids. What are your thoughts guys?

IMG_0154.JPG

See if you can find out what kind of clutches and bands he put in, and then research them to see what they are compatible with. The seals and bearings aren't as sensitive to fluid types.

Why not stick with the Mercon. It's not like you should be adding to it once its in.....unless there is an issue with leaks and such. Properly sealed, C4 should maintain fluid levels for years...

I've been curious about this topic for some time, but just never took the time to research it.

From what I've been able to gather is that after Ford stopped supplying rebuild kits for pre 1980 transmissions nobody else supplied friction materials that required Type F.

Monster Transmission recommends Dexron/Mercon for their rebuilt 1968 to 1993 Ford automatics.

Type F won't hurt a rebuilt transmission, but not needed.

Latest posts

Back