c6 Transmission help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
How do you remove the shift lever that is mounted on the c6 tranny. I tried all day to get it off with no luck. When I put on the replacement tranny I failed to check this lever out and it winds out to be the wrong one. I thought that is was going to be an easy switch but I can't get the one off the new tranny I installed nor can I remove the one on the original tranny. I am afraid that I am going to have to remove the drive train again to fix this mess. If I can get the one off the installed tranny I'll just buy another lever. Does this lever need to be removed from the inside? Does the valve body need to come out? It's looking like this may be the case, is it a difficult job? My knowledge of auto tranny's is pretty slim. Help!!!

thx

-jbojo

IMG_2343.JPG

Jbojo,

You defiantly need to remove the transmission pan to change out the linkage.

I don't think you need to remove the valve body for this work.

Just open it up and take a look !!! Don't forget to change the gasket & filter.

Good Luck !!!

Thanks, Jay

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a nut on the inside. You're going to have to drop the pan and pull out the valve body. Pretty sure you'll need to first remove the kick down lever nut fist. That's also on the inside. Much easier upside down on the floor than in the car!

Thx guys,

I did some research online and I found a video on how to do this. I will give it a try tomorrow. Hope it is as easy as they describe. I will be doing this with the tranny on the car. Thx for the help.

-jbojo

I'd also get a new shifter seal and kick down o ring while you have it apart. Nothing worse than those leaking because it is such a job to replace them.

I'd also get a new shifter seal and kick down o ring while you have it apart. Nothing worse than those leaking because it is such a job to replace them.
Yeah they have already been replaced in the new transmission. I am just putting in the correct shift lever now so that my stock linkages will line up correctly. Also the lever now doesn't have the provision for the NSS switch.

-jbojo

You Might have to take the trans out of the car. My memory is when you take the valve body out you will find the internal linkage prevents you from releasing the nut that holds the levers in. That requires the back of the trans to come out because you have to remove the clutch pack to get to the linkage so you can move it out of the way and finally get the nut off. My trans has the wrong linkage for a mustang. I bought a new arm assembly and then found out just taking the valve body out would still not gain me access. I aborted the swap on my car and shelved the external linkage for a future rebuild.

You Might have to take the trans out of the car. My memory is when you take the valve body out you will find the internal linkage prevents you from releasing the nut that holds the levers in. That requires the back of the trans to come out because you have to remove the clutch pack to get to the linkage so you can move it out of the way and finally get the nut off. My trans has the wrong linkage for a mustang. I bought a new arm assembly and then found out just taking the valve body out would still not gain me access. I aborted the swap on my car and shelved the external linkage for a future rebuild.
I was able to replace the levers by just removing the Valve body. Took about 2 hours to get these swapped out.

-jbojo

Are you swapping c6 for c6 or FMX for c6? When I swapped out fmx for c6 (out of a torino) i discovered the linkage wasn't correct. We added a piece (welded) to the linkage on the transmission and it worked out. THat might be easier than pulling the transmission apart.

Another option you might research, and I have no experience on this or any idea if it will work, is using a cable rather than the rod.

Just a thought. Again, no experience.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back