Calling out all guys running AFTERMARKET tachs!!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

I'm so fed up with the MSD screwing with the factory tach and i'm going to get an aftermarket one so i can utilize a shift light. i know i've seen a video here with someone running one. where is everybody mounting them and what size are you guys running?

on the car now seems to be about 4 or 4.25 guages. i'm tempted to mount the thing on the dash all the way to the right so its always noticed when driving down the track but can be taken down when driving on the street.

i have seen them mounted on the steering wheel just covering the clock or the factory tach. but i wanna see what size everybody else is running.

(doing this might negate my worries about the ALT harness and running a 1-wire alternator)

I have a Sun tach 3.5" mounted on my column partially blocking my factory tach, and an MSD shift light mounted on one of the screws that hold the dashpad on, the side near the center AC vents it points right at my face.

this one, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8952/

Now my factory tach started working so if I ever make the dash lights brighter I will remove the column mounted tach and just use the factory with the shift light.

I have a Sun tach 3.5" mounted on my column partially blocking my factory tach, and an MSD shift light mounted on one of the screws that hold the dashpad on, the side near the center AC vents it points right at my face.

Now my factory tach started working so if I ever make the dash lights brighter I will remove the column mounted tach and just use the factory with the shift light.
could you ever so kindly provide pics? i am thinking a 5 incher would be just too obnixous looking!!!

could you ever so kindly provide pics? i am thinking a 5 incher would be just too obnixous looking!!!

I agree 5 inch is way to big I would stick to a 3.5 or smaller. Mounting one on the dash is a pretty tight fit because of the angle of the window. I wanted to put mine there but it wouldn't fit. If you go smaller than 3.5 it could work. you could also get a hood mounted tach from earlier models I was thinking of doing that at one point. But those don't come with shift light's but you could run an independent shift light that would come off once your done racing.

For a while a had a 3.5 SunPro just like the one pictured above. What I did was wrap a strip of 1/2 inch foam insulation tape around it and slid it right into the spot where my original tack had been in my cluster from the back. Worked fine and looked OK.

Eventually I converted everything to Dakota Digitals which some people hate but I really like.

im going all phantom guages went with a five inch in dash a little thought and an extra cluster u can make an awsome cluster sorry no pics of that try to make some later

Im runing a 5 inch autometer sport comp where my factory speedo used to eb. With a little fabrication i got it to fit in like a glove and looks great. I used the large external shift light and replaced my factory fuel level gauge with it, also took a little fabrication, but nothing too serious at all. I was able to keep the printed circuit board intact enough,(but pushed out of the way,) so i still have the directional lights working.. unfortunetely, no current pics.

Here is mine.I have run an Autometer play back with a shift light.I like the shift light stand alone Idea with the factory tach.I have doubted my factory tach at times ,but every time I have checked it was dead on.

PC250012.JPG

I did this about 14 years ago along with a crane hi-6 and a distributor out of a 90's Bronco.

IMG_0748.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Blueoval71, I have seen this done in a magazine also. I love it, was it had to do? I have an MSD ready to run distributor and had to buy a tach adapter but would rather go with something like this. Did you do the center gauges also?

i've seen this somewhere online many years ago and couldn't find out how to do it again!

how did you get the turn signals to work? i'm interested to see how you did the whole thing!

i did basically the same as blueoval71 with mine, except i put a shift light in the place where he has his fuel gauge and my tach where he has his mph. i kept my turn signal indicators by "manhandling" the printed circut. I had to trim alot of the factory housing away to get the tach to sit in the arear properly, but it sure looks good all said and done!

i did basically the same as blueoval71 with mine, except i put a shift light in the place where he has his fuel gauge and my tach where he has his mph. i kept my turn signal indicators by "manhandling" the printed circut. I had to trim alot of the factory housing away to get the tach to sit in the arear properly, but it sure looks good all said and done!
did you do this with a factory tach or one with a clock/light guage on the left?

Just sent a pm but wanted to make sure I caught up with you. Just admiring the shhhtang. What size tires are you running? I'm about to buy a new set and I love that set up!!!

Latest posts

Back