Cam Timing Gear Pin (Damage) 351w

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hetrickw

Reaction score
My Car
I've pulled my front timing chain cover to upgrade timing chain and noticed when I put the Cam Gear on I noticed that the alignment pin was barely entering into the opening of the gear. I looked closely at it and it has a sharp scrape along it's side nipple. It also looks like it's been beaten with a hammer (front) but still got barely into the gear as the bolt bottoms out. I know the remainder of the hole is for the oil slinger piece to marry into the gear but it barely catches it as I tight the bolt by hand. when I check the depth of the hole until it bottoms out at the top of the pin (when its semi tightened with a socket) it still appears to be barely making contact. when I move he gear by hand it does not have slop and is tight. I don't want to change cam/lifters but im afraid i'll have to now. anybody have a clue how far the nipple should enter into the gear? sorry for the long thread......pics to hard to get on this one.....appreciate any help. motor 1974/5 351w, rebuilt 1985 (I didn't do it), 1000 miles on motor, (block is definitely a 351w, but timing is definitely for a 302, so I guess it's a 302 cam).....

There are different lengths of pins depending on the timing gear set and fuel pump eccentrics used. Do you simply need a longer pin?

The pin can usually be removed with a good pair of vice grips.

Back