Came within an inch of destroying my Engine

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible H Code, 351C 2V FMX
Holy Mother of Pearl! I took the 'vert back to the builder 'cause I couldn't get it timed or tuned right - couldn't get it to rev higher than 2200 RPM. While he was working on it, it started spitting oil out the PVC valve. Took the valve cover off to see what was going on, and noticed that the oil deflectors on top of the rocker arms were installed upside down. Also noticed that the stem holders were wrong - 10 degree instead of 7 degree. He said he couldn't figure out why a valve hadn't dropped into a cylinder already - called it a "miracle". So he's going to get everything fixed up for me. He said it ran great, and that if the oil thing hadn't happened he would have taken it for a test spin and given it back to me. I can't tell you what I would have done if the motor needed to be rebuilt again....

Needless to say, the kids in the shop class are off the Mustang Repair list. :s

Holy Mother of Pearl! I took the 'vert back to the builder 'cause I couldn't get it timed or tuned right - couldn't get it to rev higher than 2200 RPM. While he was working on it, it started spitting oil out the PVC valve. Took the valve cover off to see what was going on, and noticed that the oil deflectors on top of the rocker arms were installed upside down. Also noticed that the keepers were the wrong size - 7s instead of 10s. He said he couldn't figure out why a valve hadn't dropped into a cylinder already - called it a "miracle". So he's going to get everything fixed up for me. He said it ran great, and that if the oil thing hadn't happened he would have taken it for a test spin and given it back to me. I can't tell you what I would have done if the motor needed to be rebuilt again....

YIKES!!!

Glad you caught it before something bad happened.

Wow! Crisis averted... time to let out a well-needed, "WHEW!!!"

Hope he gets it back together for you sooner than later.

She's home! Runs like a NASCAR except I need to get a pumpkin with 3.25 or so gears. Took her out on the road and got 'er up to about 50 mph or so and she just sings (straight headers right now, mufflers next weekend I hope.

Thanks for all your well wishes. I'll post some vid of me driving her soon.

YAHOOO!!!!!!!!

Holy Mother of Pearl! I took the 'vert back to the builder 'cause I couldn't get it timed or tuned right - couldn't get it to rev higher than 2200 RPM. While he was working on it, it started spitting oil out the PVC valve. Took the valve cover off to see what was going on, and noticed that the oil deflectors on top of the rocker arms were installed upside down. Also noticed that the stem holders were wrong - 10 degree instead of 7 degree. He said he couldn't figure out why a valve hadn't dropped into a cylinder already - called it a "miracle". So he's going to get everything fixed up for me. He said it ran great, and that if the oil thing hadn't happened he would have taken it for a test spin and given it back to me. I can't tell you what I would have done if the motor needed to be rebuilt again....

Did you upgrade to single piece valves and matching retainers and locks?

How did you notice the 7 to 10 degree mismatch?

I think it was very big hearted of you to give the kids a shot. I'm thinking personal supervision is needed though. Kids are still kids. But cool you gave them the shot. :udaman:

Great save Doc. When you start putting miles on let me know your power pulling speed range before the rear goes in so I can compare. Also did you need to change the kickdown linkage changing to 4V setup

Alan L

Holy Mother of Pearl!
Did you upgrade to single piece valves and matching retainers and locks?

How did you notice the 7 to 10 degree mismatch?
No, but at some point I'll let someone rebuild the heads and replace with single piece valves and matching stuff. The builder was the one who noticed (actually, about 5 guys were there looking somewhat perplexed) when he pushed his finger down on the valve spring and there was a lot of play... Sheesh!)

I think it was very big hearted of you to give the kids a shot. I'm thinking personal supervision is needed though. Kids are still kids. But cool you gave them the shot. :udaman:
Thanks, Mark. I felt the same way about the supervision, but the school shop guy told me ahead of time that he does VW sand rails and V8s weren't his forte, so I'm not going to say anything about this. I promised the two kids that worked on it that I would take them for a spin, and I'll keep my word. I paid the shop $375 to fix the problem, and probably would've spent that much or more for a complete head rebuild. Drove it down to the gas station to fill her up, and accidentally scared the wife manually shifting from first to second... I swear I haven't had it past 2/3 throttle, but with open headers and the top down on the vert, it's like sitting in a "beautiful dragster", she said. :p

Great save Doc. When you start putting miles on let me know your power pulling speed range before the rear goes in so I can compare. Also did you need to change the kickdown linkage changing to 4V setup

Alan L
Hey Alan. I only had to purchase the recommended spring and perch setup from the online instructions. Didn't have to mess with the kickdown linkage to add the Holley 80457 600 cmf on top of the Edelbrock 2750 Performer intake, except for a C ring that I misplaced. Still can't get the 70's to spin with the 2.75 rear end, but haven't stomped on it from a standstill 'cause I've only got 9 miles on the rebuild and I'm not ready to break something yet. But it's a spiffy manual shift from first to second at 3K RPM, so I can still enjoy a jolt of 'Stang adrenaline as needed. :):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't blame the kids, blame the instructor. They should be watching and checking and most of all, Teaching!

use it as a learning experience for the kids. Take them for a ride and gently explain things. Even better, have both 10 and 7 degree keepers and show and explain the differences in the keepers and the importance of each.

Back