camshaft question- big block vs smallblock

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, and you recommend a single pattern cam over a dual pattern cam?
A dual pattern cam is often used to compensate for some kind of deficiency in the exhaust or intake, but it's entirely up to you. Cam selection is highly personal. Personally, I like a noticeably lopey idle, but decent street RPM manners and no stalling out at the lights!

Ed Curtis at http://www.flowtechinduction.com/ makes custom grinds for about the same price as an off-the-shelf cam - he's definitely a good resource with a lot of happy customers. Anderson Ford Motorsport and finally Comp Cams would be my OTS choices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh ok.. I was looking for something a bit more tame. Going with a little less cam, I figured I could make up some power with a little more displacement, hence the stroker.. I really wish I could get a Vortech or Paxton supercharger for a 460. Then I would go fuel injected and have a warmed over engine with all them power I could ask for on tap.. I just don't know anyone who could make the brackets and vortech/paxton don't make a kit for the 460.

Oh ok.. I was looking for something a bit more tame. Going with a little less cam, I figured I could make up some power with a little more displacement, hence the stroker.. I really wish I could get a Vortech or Paxton supercharger for a 460. Then I would go fuel injected and have a warmed over engine with all them power I could ask for on tap.. I just don't know anyone who could make the brackets and vortech/paxton don't make a kit for the 460.
No, but I think there's kits for a giant Roots style blower for the big block Fords!

There is.. but I was looking for something a bit more discrete..

There is.. but I was looking for something a bit more discrete..
There's lots of information about how to setup a turbo. Lots of people have posted complete buildups and parts lists for turbocharging a 460. You'd be making a ridiculous amount of power with a turbocharged setup however, is that what you're after?

Well, I use to want a saleen S-351, but they wanted $70,000 for it. So I bought a 95 GT and put a supercharged 393W in it. With 10 lbs of boost, I was making 560 rwhp. I just thought it would be cool to do that with a 460 based motor and make 700+ rwhp and still be tame enough to drive my wife and son around.

Lol.. not really.. a vortech or paxton would be more for the "wow" factor. It's not something you usually see.. to be honest, a stroked Windsor would really be plenty. To be honest, I may just go with a supercharged 427w. Besides a 460 block, I also have a Dart "Windsor" block. In the long run, it will probably be cheaper and will still make 600rwhp on 91 octane.

Blown, stroked, big block, turbo...

Many ways to achieve the same result.

Do what makes you happy and no-one else.

Asking us is like asking us what flavour ice cream do we prefer? You'll get 100 different responses, none of them wrong...

I like pistaccio....

Pistachio gelato off course..lol

I initially started this wondering if a cam that that had a specific profile on one motor, w would it have a similar profile on another engine of similar displacement (small block to big block). Also, if a cam considered "big" for a 427 for instance, would it be tamed by increasing the displacement to 500-520 inches? I know I could get plenty of power from a supercharged small block. I mean seriously, in California, you can really only go about 75mph +/-

To be honest, I liked having 500+rwhp and I sort of miss it. Not to mention, I would have liked to supercharge and fuel inject a 460 based stroker. You just don't see them. Also, if I could supercharge a 460 based stroker, I figured I could have more power with a relatively mild cam..

Centrifugal blower can be done for Ford 460 cid. Wanna go "cheap" - get a used BBC brackectry - it's close, you’ll need to do some modifications but nothing compared to brain surgery. Or you can pick up the easy way:

Call Kyle at:

http://www.neweraracecraft.com/

Or contact Steve:

http://www.stevemorrisengines.com/

They both can make you a bracketry for your specific needs, they can do them for Procharger like F1R, F2 which both should full fill your needs big time. Steve Morris has done BBF earlier, so I could bet my money on him or for the Kyle, I believe they have some kind of co-operation going on.

Either way you decide to go, there's plenty of ways doing it. Allways remember that the bigger the engine the more it needs from the cam. I like the idea of supercharging the engine since it's gonna be much easyer for the valvetrain - no need for huge valvespring pressures due to you can go milder cam just as you said.

If you are looking for the cool factor, then go with Roots style blower. With blower you don't need to add "procharger" "vortech" or "supercharged" decals or stickers because everybody can see the blower coming out of the roof!!! They can be done also with efi. A friend of mine living in CA is building his Roots blower engine with 16 fuel injectors. 8 for cruising speeds plus 8 when hammering the pedal, nice ECU and good mpg if that matters.

-------

edit:

Turbo's are cheap way to go. Plumming & pipeing is doable but try to make them fit for '71 Mustang - not an easy task. Steve Ayesh built his '71 Mach with twin turbos with BBF. Car had Mustang II style front to make room, plus the radiator is located rear underneath of the vehicle. Tricky piece and scary fast. One thing that I hate in Turbo's are the plumming for exhaust gases and the turbo itself since they generate heat - big time. You can live with that but the compartment gets hot. At the moment I would go personally with the Whipplecharger big huffer with EFI. You could use std. 6/71 - 8/71 intakemanifold, get the Charger with EFI = low profile and very efficient. They are also equipped with by-pass valve for the low rpm = idle, so the supercharger doesn't boost like a grazy when idleing = better mpg and easier for the parts.

Well, I wouldn't put any decals on my car, but I get your point.. I have actually looked at a setup from BDS but I like the look of the Mach-1 hood and didn't want to chop it up. Besides, I didn't want to advertise with a big blower sticking out the hood..

Thanks for the info.. I appreciate it..

Mike

Back