Can coupe upholstery be used on a Convertible

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
This topic may have been covered before but I couldn't find it anywhere on the site. I am wondering if coupe upholstery be used on a convertible? I have read the front seats should be fine but what about the rear seat? Will coupe upholstery just look crappy in a convertible or can something be done to make it fit right for the rear seat?

Thanks.

Nope, the back seats are different. An upholsterer may be able to rework the material to fit the convertible seats, though, and they would be able to tell you whether they could do what you're looking for.

Yes, but you will have to rework the rear seat bottom upholstery, the front edge of the coupe seat is 5"wider than the convertible, it's not difficult if you have a sewing machine. Front seats are the same in comfortweave fabric. I don't believe flat vinyl was available in a convertible, it's my understanding that they all had comfortweave- because they can get wet.

Being your convertible was optioned with the Decor Group, it would have had knitted vinyl upholstery (comfortweave). Could the coupe rear seat be adapted to the convertible frames? Maybe, but by the time you pay someone to do the work, you're better off buying the correct upholstery to start.

Back