Can you polish hub caps and trim rings?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sure you can always polish them and make them look better.

Trim rings and some hub caps do have sort of a brushed look on the angled surface.

I just did a set of Sport Hubcaps for my 73. I think I took 11 hub caps and sorted through them and picked bits and pieces from them and got 4 pretty good ones.

There is no way I know of removing dents that are in the areas where there is a double wall. If the outer edge of the ring is scuffed you just DA sand with gradually finer and finer paper then go to buffing compound.

Just to tape up the sport wheel covers was about an 8 hour task. You have the small chrome bands on the cast aluminum center that have to be polished, cleaned then masked off and the center is Argent. When I ordered the paint from NPD they had in their catalog what was correct to hub caps and it was wrong. They did offer to send the right for no charge but I just went with some metallic like used on 72 grills for the outer edge of the cast part. You have to free hand mask that area and should be flat black.

You polish the stainless main part of the hub cap using buffing compound and varying cotton wheels. Here are some pics.

I have also polished the dog dish caps. Going to post up some pics of 73 Forged Aluminum wheels I am just finishing today. They go really fast can do 4 good wheels in about 8 hours.

Back