Wheels, Trim Rings, Hub Caps?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 15" steel wheels and trim rings were only utilized from '70-72 on the Mustang and '70-71 on the Torino. So finding a nice set 50 years later can be a frustrating and expensive search. The Ford part # for the wheel is D0OZ-1007-A. Although this wheel has an engineering ID #, Ford usually only marked the steel rims with a letter or number near the valve stem hole and a paint daub. That would be the letter "B" and a green paint daub for this wheel.
The 15" x 7" wheel trim ring is D0ZZ-1210-C (D0ZA-1210-D, G). This trim ring was sourced from the '70 Boss 302, the first of the first-generation Mustangs to use a steel 15" x 7" rim. All trim rings had a brushed finish. Ford did not use a bright or chrome finish trim ring on these wheels. There was a running change on the valve stem hole. There were reports from the field that the original trim ring with the round hole was cutting and damaging the valve stem when removed for maintenance. Engineering released new trim rings with an oval or "Racetrack" shaped hole, making removing the trim ring easier without damaging the valve stem.
The center cap dog dishes were the same size in the carline regardless of rim size. The difference is a brushed finish for trim ring-equipped cars and a shiny or chrome finish for non-trim ring vehicles. The original center cap is D0AZ-1130-G (D0OA-K, D0ZA-J) replaced by D5DZ-1130-B (D5BA-AA, BA). Since the center cap is a corporate piece used across all car lines, it can be easier to find. The trim rings do show up occasionally, but versions with no curb rash or dents are few and far between. I have seen pristine or rare NOS versions sell for $1,500.00 and above. To my knowledge, there are no exact repos of this trim ring available at present.

Since the Ford wheels are no longer available, I would suggest Summit for the Wheel Vintiques version, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-62-5712044
or Coker Tire https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/steel-wheels/oe_style-15x7-5x4_5.html
There is contact info for each site if you need additional information or clarification on the wheels and if, by chance, any trim rings are available.
I know this is a lot of number and letter salad to digest, so let us know if you need any further info or clarification! :)

The 15" steel wheels and trim rings were only utilized from '70-72 on the Mustang and '70-71 on the Torino. So finding a nice set 50 years later can be a frustrating and expensive search. The Ford part # for the wheel is D0OZ-1007-A. Although this wheel has an engineering ID #, Ford usually only marked the steel rims with a letter or number near the valve stem hole and a paint daub. That would be the letter "B" and a green paint daub for this wheel.
The 15" x 7" wheel trim ring is D0ZZ-1210-C (D0ZA-1210-D, G). This trim ring was sourced from the '70 Boss 302, the first of the first-generation Mustangs to use a steel 15" x 7" rim. All trim rings had a brushed finish. Ford did not use a bright or chrome finish trim ring on these wheels. There was a running change on the valve stem hole. There were reports from the field that the original trim ring with the round hole was cutting and damaging the valve stem when removed for maintenance. Engineering released new trim rings with an oval or "Racetrack" shaped hole, making removing the trim ring easier without damaging the valve stem.
The center cap dog dishes were the same size in the carline regardless of rim size. The difference is a brushed finish for trim ring-equipped cars and a shiny or chrome finish for non-trim ring vehicles. The original center cap is D0AZ-1130-G (D0OA-K, D0ZA-J) replaced by D5DZ-1130-B (D5BA-AA, BA). Since the center cap is a corporate piece used across all car lines, it can be easier to find. The trim rings do show up occasionally, but versions with no curb rash or dents are few and far between. I have seen pristine or rare NOS versions sell for $1,500.00 and above. To my knowledge, there are no exact repos of this trim ring available at present.

Since the Ford wheels are no longer available, I would suggest Summit for the Wheel Vintiques version, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wvi-62-5712044
or Coker Tire https://www.cokertire.com/wheels/steel-wheels/oe_style-15x7-5x4_5.html
There is contact info for each site if you need additional information or clarification on the wheels and if, by chance, any trim rings are available.
I know this is a lot of number and letter salad to digest, so let us know if you need any further info or clarification! :)
Great info thanks! Are those wheel vintiques wheels identical as far as front and backspacing to the OE Ford ones and will they accept the hubcaps?

These are the trim rings I took off one of mine. They have creases where people have pried against them over the years to pull off the center cap to expose the lug nuts. And I didn't even notice it till I took them off, but one of them is a lot smaller than the rest.

1691421651329.png

1691421779816.png

Great info thanks! Are those wheel vintiques wheels identical as far as front and backspacing to the OE Ford ones and will they accept the hubcaps?
Those wheels are about as close to the original as you can get. The specs I input on the option boxes on the Summit site are what the Ford steel wheels are on my F60 X 15" equipped Mach 1. The high spots or knubs on the center of the wheel (circled in red) are what the center caps snap over. They look identical to the OE wheel. If you need more verification, I would contact @Hemikiller. I believe he has a set of custom-size 15" X 8" Vintiques steel wheels on his Mach 1 with the Ford center caps, and it looks great. He would know better than anyone, and I would certainly trust what he said.
1691441067615.png

I'm running the 15x8 Wheel Vintiques Series 62 on my 71 Mach 1. The center disc WV uses is different than the factory 15X7 wheels, but once you have the cap and trim ring in place, no one will know.

Factory 15X7 wheels

1691442524033.png

1691442406170.png

I have a 1973 Convertible. I think my original wheels are 14", not 15"
Can I use the same trim rings and caps on either 14 or 15"

Last edited:
These are the trim rings I took off one of mine. They have creases where people have pried against them over the years to pull off the center cap to expose the lug nuts. And I didn't even notice it till I took them off, but one of them is a lot smaller than the rest.

View attachment 79936

View attachment 79937
Are you selling the trim rings? If so how much ?

Are you selling the trim rings? If so how much ?
If I do sell them, I'll probably try to keep everything together. The original wheels, trim rings, and center caps. Just cause none of them are of any use to be without the others. :D

Our 72 Vert has the original wheels, caps and trim rings, and it came with the 14 inch version of these. It is a decor package car. I wonder why Ford made 14 inch and 15 inch, and how they decided which cars got which wheels ?

Attachments

• 67961174812__98FB9036-17A0-4749-A93D-4C25EBA5730E.jpeg
    67961174812__98FB9036-17A0-4749-A93D-4C25EBA5730E.jpeg
    3.2 MB · Views: 0
Our 72 Vert has the original wheels, caps and trim rings, and it came with the 14 inch version of these. It is a decor package car. I wonder why Ford made 14 inch and 15 inch, and how they decided which cars got which wheels ?

The only cars that the 15X7 steel wheels and trim ring/cap combo were standard on was the 71 Boss 351 and the 72 351HO cars. Any car but a 6 cyl could be optioned with them, but that also required Competition Suspension as well. The standard wheel 71-72 was 14x6, and the wheel/tire combinations varied depending upon engine and suspension options. These changed from year to year, so what applies to '71 does not apply to '73.

1691767037591.png

The only cars that the 15X7 steel wheels and trim ring/cap combo were standard on was the 71 Boss 351 and the 72 351HO cars. Any car but a 6 cyl could be optioned with them, but that also required Competition Suspension as well. The standard wheel 71-72 was 14x6, and the wheel/tire combinations varied depending upon engine and suspension options. These changed from year to year, so what applies to '71 does not apply to '73.

View attachment 80119
Thank you Dennis, that makes sense I suppose to the bean counters. Stock a bunch of extra parts so you can save 2 "1972" dollars difference in the cost of them.
OR, hope it makes them spend more to order the competition suspension or the 4V motor.

Back