Where does this headlight trim ring mount???

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Convertible
I searched the forum, the internet and my assembly manuals but could not find out where the pot metal headlight trim ring below mounts. It's probably called something else but not sure what that is. Can someone tell me where these rings would mount? They were in a box of parts when I got my Mustang so not sure if they mount on the headlight assemblies or somewhere else.

Thanks.

Pot Metal Headlight Ring.jpg

The bottom has a tab that fits in a small hole below the light trim ring, then a screw locates and attaches the outer trim at the top. The two cut outs ,if you like, are where the top and side headlight aim adjuster screws locate.
I found that adding some electrical tape around the bottom tab helps hold it in place better. They seem quite sloppy, but when the screw is tightened, they are ok.

Attachments

• IMG_1561.5.JPG
    IMG_1561.5.JPG
    33.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
The bottom has a tab that fits in a small hole below the light trim ring, then a screw locates and attaches the outer trim at the top. The two cut outs ,if you like, are where the top and side headlight aim adjuster screws locate.
I found that adding some electrical tape around the bottom tab helps hold it in place better. They seem quite sloppy, but when the screw is tightened, they are ok.
Thanks Stanglover. So would the tab on the bottom mount onto the front plastic grill? Would the top screw attach the trim ring to the headlight housing? Thanks.

Thanks Stanglover. So would the tab on the bottom mount onto the front plastic grill? Would the top screw attach the trim ring to the headlight housing? Thanks.
Here are some pics from my car. The grill is a 71 Mach 1, but this part of a 71 vert will be the same. The tab fit into the square hole seen. This of course is the left, driver side, right side ring is opposite. Pic 2 is the top screw location. Pic 3 is the tape I put around the tab. Pic 4 is assembled. Note. my lamps are LED conversions, but fit the same as original sealed beam.

Attachments

• 20230621_112500.jpg
    20230621_112500.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230621_112510.jpg
    20230621_112510.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230621_112628.jpg
    20230621_112628.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230621_113351.jpg
    20230621_113351.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Stanglover. I see now that this headlight pot metal trim ring screws into the front grill and the lower notch is also on the grill. I was thinking this trim rings attached to the headlight bucket assembly. Thanks again for your help.

Thanks Stanglover. I see now that this headlight pot metal trim ring screws into the front grill and the lower notch is also on the grill. I was thinking this trim rings attached to the headlight bucket assembly. Thanks again for your help.
You're most welcome. That is what this Forum is all about, helping others.

Back