Can't see out the rear window? try this...

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm going to get in trouble... but having owned '71-3 fastbacks for most of my adult life I learned to see out the back window by learning how to drive and using the side mirrors... oh oh...::devil::
:goodone:

Uh-huh...

Yeah... you've obviously never driven in West Texas - we have an average of 10 car accidents per day... in a city of 100,000-ish, no less.

I learned to drive driving trucks and farm and ranch equipment. I started driving a Ford F8 fuel delivery truck when I was 16, and that old beast just had 4" round rear view mirrors. Uncle Sam let me drive duece and a halfs around Germany for 2 1/2 years, I drove snowplows at Lake Tahoe and other parts of Nevada for 3 or 4 years, pulled travel trailers and drove motor homes for 35 years, so I feel I know how to use mirrors. Never had an accident. However, whenever I drive my Mustang in traffic I want just a little more visibility, especially on the passenger side.

Not much you can do with the sports mirrors except put a convex mirror in place of the flat mirror. In this age of technology there are bound to be better solutions.

I agree with Eric, a nice mirror with 3 video displays would be great, but the only one I've seen is the one from vision tech, and it is a little lacking in in size for the center display. So, I'm thinking about one wide electronic mirror with two smaller ones mounted on the sides in a custom bracket or mount. The smaller ones would supplement the sports mirrors with fairly wide angle cameras.

Even though my headliner isn't new, it's in good shape, so I don't want to drill holes in it, either. Maybe a pair of rear view mirror windshield mounts will work. With the variety of shapes and sizes of cameras that are available unobtrusive mounting locations shouldn't be a problem.

Nope, never been to west Texas, not sure how that plays into driving a '71-3 Fastback...

Honestly, I never had an issue driving the Fastback, backing up, whatever.... I just learned to use the mirrors and the small space afforded by the rear window. I personally would never go to the extent of installing some rear view projection/viewing technology, but I can see how it would help some people. My jeep came with the backup camera, never use it and I would never trust it alone.

It really is something, what they are able to produce today to make driving easier...

The one point I recall when addressing the limited visibility in the fastback is that it is an advantage to be around 6' tall as this does assist in the seating alignment when maximizing the viewing angle and using the rear view mirror.

Nope, never been to west Texas, not sure how that plays into driving a '71-3 Fastback...
It's not me [or my driving] I'm worried about... it's everybody else around here. That's how it plays into it for me.

For me, it's a mixed bag. All of my vehicles have always had excellent rearward visibility (the roof & doors actually come off my Jeep, for instance :p ).

I also have less than 5 miles on mine since I got it back together and running, so no - I'm not used to driving it yet... not by a long shot.

I ain't gonna lie - the paranoia for me comes from having spent the time and done the work to rebuild (literally) the entire rear end of my car - I don't want to run the risk of munching anything if I can avoid it.

Back