Car in the shop for motor issues- cams and lifters

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked my car up today and it looks great lowered. I was reasonably happy going home till it stalled and left me sitting in the Walmart parking lot. I saw bubbles in the fuel filter and it looking it might have vapor locked. I let it sit for a while and it started reluctantly. I think I need to figure out where to put the gas pedal to start. It is hard to start in my opinion so I marked the position of the distributor and turned it left a hair. Once I turned it started much better. Not sure if the timing was quite right but I know the little tweak made the car run better. I have had a harmonic balancer slip before making timing with the light impossible. May be the case here because before I did the same thing and it got much better even with the valve problems. Starter still sounds like it is close to death so I may get one this weekend.(Shop asked if I wanted it changed but 3300 bucks was all I was going to spend. I can do it myself.) Doesn't release quickly enough and sounds wrong when starting. Still too loud and that will get resolved when I recover from this 4000 dollar adventure. So now to the questions.

How would I know if the tranny is slipping. I think when I stomp on it I hear the engine winding up faster than the car is accelerating. Is there something that can be adjusted to improve tranny performance. aI think I feel a little vibration when the acceleration is not coming when at WOT. My guess is that the PO dogged the shiznat out of the car and the tranny may need a rebuild as well. How much does that usually cost?

Picked it up today and it drives great when it is running. It died on the way home and I think it was a vapor lock since I saw fuel bubbling in the filter. Not sure on that but I let it sit for 10 minutes and it finally started. The lowering has really helped the look of my car. Will post picks tomorrow.

Question about tranny. I think it is slipping under hard acceleration because the engine winds up but the acceleration does not seem proportionate. IS there something that can be adjusted on these tranny's? I thought I felt a small vibration when at wide open throttle but it could have been harmonics from the stupid loud Flowmasters. If I need a rebuild, what should I expect to pay? I have a C6 available if I want it cheap. What would you do. I blew my money so I have to wait a hair to get this done so I will baby the car for now until it is time to spend more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sounds as if your fuel is boiling over - even before getting to the carb.

Q's valley pan modification and a Holley insulating carb spacer may be advisable. Where is the plastic fuel filter located? Close to the intake?

510-108-51.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/108-51/10002/-1?parentProductId=743653

-Kurt

It was resting on the radiator hose between manifold and hot hose. I changed it around a bit and moved it away from the heat. My carb came with a funky gasket similar to the one shown. I used a plastic 1 inch spacer on the manifold for now.

It was resting on the radiator hose between manifold and hot hose. I changed it around a bit and moved it away from the heat. My carb came with a funky gasket similar to the one shown. I used a plastic 1 inch spacer on the manifold for now.
Well, that combo couldn't have helped :p

A 1" spacer may do the trick. May not. Let us know how it goes.

Also double-check that filter, just to make sure the surface wasn't damaged/melted.

-Kurt

What is the advantage of the 4 hole spacer(like pictured above) versus a wide open one? I have a spacer very similar to the one above in my tool box. Used the 1 inch because it seemed like a good idea. What foes the spacer do?

What is the advantage of the 4 hole spacer(like pictured above) versus a wide open one? I have a spacer very similar to the one above in my tool box. Used the 1 inch because it seemed like a good idea. What foes the spacer do?
According to the local carb guru (and I do mean a guru - this fellow's work is very respected throughout the country), the turbulence from an open spacer vs one that separates the carb throttle plates isn't enough to cause any perceptible issues.

That said, the main benefit to the spacer above is the extra extension forward and aft of the bowls, which act as heat shields.

-Kurt

Here are a couple of pictures of my car now that it is lowered. It looks much better now that the wheel wells are not empty. I will eventually deal with the green sticking out of under the door and put my stripe kit on. That will make it perfect.

I did drive to work today and the car ran good. It is too stinking loud and I will buy some Dynomax to replace these obnoxious Flowmasters. I will have to do it soon because I will be deaf if I don't.

New question, where does the air vent system draw air from, I smell like engine when I get out of the car and I would like to rectify that. Is there a solution to draw fresh air from somewhere other than under the hood?

lowered mustang 1.jpg

lowered mustang 2.jpg

New question, where does the air vent system draw air from, I smell like engine when I get out of the car and I would like to rectify that. Is there a solution to draw fresh air from somewhere other than under the hood?
Check the cowl to hood seal (top of cowl in front of plastic vents) If its flattened doesn't seal 100% you will get heat smell etc from the engine compartment. Air is drawn in from the 2 plastic vents on the cowl panel

Sounds as if your fuel is boiling over - even before getting to the carb.

Q's valley pan modification and a Holley insulating carb spacer may be advisable.
I bet they didn't use the valley pan since that's what edlebrock says to do in their instructions..So yes with out it the hot oil hits the bottom of the intake & percolation is one side effect

The shop did say they had to buy a special Felpro gasket set to get it to seal properly. I will call and ask in the morning. The boiling was in my glass filter that was resting on the manifold with the radiator hose on tod of it.

I'd be interested in knowing the part number of the gasket set.

Were you able to see why the old intake was pulling vacuum, if in fact it really was? Cracked, or slipped gasket, or ?

BTW, those wheels look great on your car!

Gasket set is felpro but not with tray from what I can tell. Looks like heads got new valves and I have a six month warranty.

Latest posts

Back