Car show/ cruise night pet-peeve

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

Kit Sullivan

Seems there are basically two kinds of guys that have cool old collector cars at most car shows and cruise nights:

1) The "died-in-the-wool" gear-head guys who know thier cars inside and out...the guys that do almost all of the tuning maintaining and repairing themselves.

2) And then there are the guys who may have finally got to a point in thier life where they can financially afford to buy a restored example of the car they have lusted after thier whole lives.

The second guys...These are the guys who typically don't know much about turning wrenches. If you ask 'em about some mechanical thing on thier car, they say :Yeah, I gotta' get my mechanic to fix that up for me."

These guys can spout off all the "salesman brochure cool facts" about thier cars; horsepower, production numbers, supposed collector values, etc...

They may claim that "It's got 400 horses, this thing is a beast!" But they may actually be driving around in a 200-horse-er without ever knowing the difference simply because they have never driven a real 400 horse car before.

On cruise nights where all the cars cruise slowly through some streets to the appreciative crowds, I sometimes get stuck behind one of these guys with a car so badly tuned it barely runs or idles correctly. Raw gas being dumped down a poorly-adjusted carb then chokes the crap out of anyone following him.

Anyone with a collector car should know how to work on 'em. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
On cruise nights where all the cars cruise slowly through some streets to the appreciative crowds' date=' I sometimes get stuck behind one of these guys with a car so badly tuned it barely runs or idles correctly. Raw gas being dumped down a poorly-adjusted carb then chokes the crap out of anyone following him.[/quote']
Mmm...that gloriously poisonous smell of Kruse International, Auctions America, Barrett Jackson, and Mecum!

;)

That said, most people are idiots and fall into category #2. Which comes first, I do not know, but it applies to everything.

-Kurt

Last edited by a moderator:
I love cat 2 folks, they HAVE reached a point in life where they will pay me way too much to make gas stop dripping out of the tailpipe. I just listen to there tales of smoking a 1987 V6 Camaro off the stoplight and burning the tires of for nearly 37 feet then say "Wow, that's awesome, that'll be $300.00 dollars for the tune-up." :)

I think there is a category 1.5. Guys that are willing to tackle most things themselves but know what they can't do so seek the help of those that can. Also some of the younger guys that are coming up fit here too. They may not come from a place where the have the skills to do it all yet. These are the guys you want to steer toward cat 1

I would be in category #2, only I try to avoid being a douche.

Nobody in my whole family was technically skilled (in regards to cars that is) and nobody was into cars in the first place, so I did not grow into this.

Combine that with being all thumbs and not being able to memorize stuff it leaves me at the merci of my wrenching buddy who will take care of everything.

I learned to do simple stuff like changing ball joints, wheel bearings, do oil changes etc. but don't make me work on something that requires knowledge of technical stuff or even worse: electricity! I never grasped the concept of electricity.

I also tried to read the distributor recurving thread but I had to give up halfway down the road.

So I'm definitely in category 2. Sorry! :-(

I could live with being in Luke's category 1.5, though. That one I like.

I think there is a category 1.5. Guys that are willing to tackle most things themselves but know what they can't do so seek the help of those that can. Also some of the younger guys that are coming up fit here too. They may not come from a place where the have the skills to do it all yet. These are the guys you want to steer toward cat 1
I tend to agree with Luke, I don't fall into either category due to the fact that my first car (73 Coupe) I personally worked on myself for years, sold and regretted it ever since. Due to family and career I chose to pay top dollar for a finished 73 Mach which was everything and more than I ever wanted except for the 521 stroker I have sitting wait in the garage for it. I don't think that puts me into either category which I don't take as a bad thing.

i stopped going to car shows about 6 years ago.

I've had stuff stolen at car shows but what really did it was going to the local cruise night, and it was packed i pulled up to the guy at the barrier to pay my 5$ to get in and he tells me, look forget it the place is packed there are no spots left, just pull through and come around again, keep doing that until i get a signal there is an open space and then i'll take the 5$. so i pull forward slowing inching in a big circle. All the food places are packed i'm in a traffic jam, cars. cars cars. i come to the end to make the right to go back to the barrier to start the circle again, and made a left instead.... i went on a 60 mile drive on the back roads just listening to tunes, went to 7-11 got some coffee with that 5$ i would of given the cruise guys and went home. never went to another car show or cruise night after that.

On a personal note, If someone from category 2 buys and pays whatever it takes to get their car, (or anything else for that matter) fixed to a level which makes them happy, then full kudos to them! We love our 123's equally and do what we can under the circumstances to make them right...

Is one millionaire dad a better dad because he sends his kid to a private school vs the dad who adores his kid just as much but sends him to a public school?

All technical abilities or lack of thereof, have absolutely no bearing whatsoever to do with the love we have for this hobby...

That's what makes this site special.... There are so many people willing to help so many others at the drop of a hat just for a g'day and a beer....

On a personal note, If someone from category 2 buys and pays whatever it takes to get their car, (or anything else for that matter) fixed to a level which makes them happy, then full kudos to them! We love our 123's equally and do what we can under the circumstances to make them right...

Is one millionaire dad a better dad because he sends his kid to a private school vs the dad who adores his kid just as much but sends him to a public school?

All technical abilities or lack of thereof, have absolutely no bearing whatsoever to do with the love we have for this hobby...

That's what makes this site special.... There are so many people willing to help so many others at the drop of a hat just for a g'day and a beer....
Well said Jim

+1 well said!

+1 Jim

It's been a long time since I went to a cruise. I am okay with a guy who went out and bought the car he always wanted. I sure as heck couldn't have afforded it anyways. If you love your old car you are okay buy me. (For the most part) Sometimes there is a know it all gear head, they can get on my nerves.

To be clear...there is a difference between someone who ultimately buys a completed restoration ( or just a decent driver) but also has the "tinkering" spirit and wants to tackle projects on his new ride himself...vs the guy who justs pops a check because he "always wanted one of those cool old GTOs".

The guys who are eager mechanical newbies...learning, asking questions and leaning into an open hood with tools and dirty hands, those are the spirit of the hobby.

Its the other guys, the ones who buy a "Hemi"...but have no clue what that means. Or the guys with a "turbo 350" in thier Camaro and think that is the engine. The ones who tell you they "smoked a big block Chevelle" on the way to the cruise but you can tell by how thier car runs when he pulls in that he could'nt smoke a Yugo. The bullshit artists, the ones who clearly don't "know" thier cars and have no desire to get thier hands dirty finding out. The guys who have no idea when thier diff oil was last changed, or even know what that is. The guys who pay $100 to get the car detailed at the local car wash.

The posers.

Those are the ones I get annoyed with.

Oh you should of just said its those wankers. When I was right into the Harley thing it was the same these guys would want to know who made the cool rear fender on your bike, When you would tell them it was me with a piece of string and chalk to get the radius right and a hacksaw and sanding disc to do the rest they would shake their head. Tell em you also made the trick looking pipes and they would say bullshit and ride off on their brand new bike in their brand new leathers. We call em Nike Bikies here having the bike was a fashion statement more than a passion

Damn Wankers! rofl

i stopped going to car shows about 6 years ago.

I've had stuff stolen at car shows but what really did it was going to the local cruise night, and it was packed i pulled up to the guy at the barrier to pay my 5$ to get in and he tells me, look forget it the place is packed there are no spots left, just pull through and come around again, keep doing that until i get a signal there is an open space and then i'll take the 5$. so i pull forward slowing inching in a big circle. All the food places are packed i'm in a traffic jam, cars. cars cars. i come to the end to make the right to go back to the barrier to start the circle again, and made a left instead.... i went on a 60 mile drive on the back roads just listening to tunes, went to 7-11 got some coffee with that 5$ i would of given the cruise guys and went home. never went to another car show or cruise night after that.
To me that's sad... I wish cruise nights in your neck of woods were better. I love the Friday cruise nights. It's an event here with music, beer, and lots of camaraderie. I meet so many people that truly appreciate what we do. So many visitors that get inspired to get into the hobby. I love that they take pictures and look for ideas and just want to chat about what we do. Probably the most rewarding part is the young kids who are really into it. I see them wanting to get a picture by my car...so I ask them if they want to sit in it while I take their picture. The joy on their face makes it all worthwhile. Showing my car is always a proud moment!

John

I'm with Dan in thinking that having to 'pay' just to "park and hang" at a 'cruise-in' environment is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not paying anybody anything after they've basically just taken over someone's empty parking lot after the business day is over.

Now, a bonafied car show? Sure - registration fees cover the costs of promotion, awards, participation badges/shirts/hats, door prizes, et al, so it's understandable.

I haven't run into many Category 2s or BS Artists, for that matter. Most of the guys I run into at car shows (still have yet to attend my first cruise-in) have been fairly well engaged in their vehicles. Sure, some of them simply buy and show (Corvette-owners, mostly) but the more modern car owners are more and more like that. When I run into Cat 2s, I usually can tell in the first few minutes, and then tend to slip away pretty quickly and move on to some other cool car.

I have never paid for a Cruise night, around here they are free, and they are just a car crazy hang out, they usually have a 50/50 raffle, little things like that.

to me, the guy they buys the Brand new Vett, Brand new Mustang, or Brand new Camaro, they I personally don't think these are show cars.

Now if a guy has the extra money and paid someone to do the work on their car, or buys the car he always wanted all restored, well good for them, they are preserving an old car, they would have been crushed or hacked by someone.

if you have the time and ambition to do your own work and learn do it, that's great also.

I was the guy that would smoke everyone out at car shows and cruise night because I was learning how to rebuild and fine tune a Carburetor, it took a few months (ok a few years) to learn how to fine tune it, and make it run like a champ, and I can do it in my sleep, to me its Pride that I did that all by my self, and I love to show off the pictures of the work in progress, with me and the kids working on the Mustang.

the way I see it, its all part of the game, as long as they are saved and not crushed, and someone is enjoying it, and having fun, let them brag about what they don't know all they want, if that's what makes them happy, just walk away, that's what I do.

There are douchebags in each category.

Just because you do your own work, and have thorough knowlege of your vehicle, doesn't mean you are a great guy.

And there are plenty of great guys who simply buy the car thy always wanted. These guys may or may not be subject matter experts. Eitehr way, some will be great guys, others may be tools.

IMO, there are some "know it alls" in category 1 who, one way or another, will be irritating.

Back