Carb/Intake manifold?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BOrtega0073

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Ok so for my 351w i have some parts lined up for a 400-500hp 71 mach 1

The motor will have

ati super damper

hyper pistons

.30 over bore

.509 lift hydraulic flat cam

long tubes

all put together with arp bolts

and I have plans for the car's suspension and brakes to handle it all!

now.....

I am looking into the intake and wanted to see what you guys think for this combo?

I spoke to a quick fuel tech through email and he sent me this carb to select for my build.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/qft-bd-1957/overview/

black diamond quick fuel 600cfm vacuum secondary carb with an electric choke.

and for a manifold, I was gona put the summit stage 4 street/strip manifold

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-226054/overview/

Does this combo seem about right for my build?

Appreciate the help!

Also any help with a cam selection would help as well cuz I am not too sure about the .509 lift with new valve springs. Could I go bigger?? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
"400 to 500" is quite a spread on horsepower. A 500-horse engine will be a considerably different build and animal compared to a 400-horse mill.

Unless you have the past experience in putting together a nicely built engine, piecing together an engine from separate and random manufacturer's components without considering how the whole package will work together is often expensive and less impressive than hoped for.

If you can't afford a reman or a crate motor, or just really want to build it yourself, I would strongly recommend contacting any of the well-known parts vendors for thier "recipe" for an entire engine package aimed at exactly the HP you want. It will be more durable and a better all-around performer in the long run.

I have used Edelbrock's packages several times in the past with great success, but there are dozens ( if not more) parts manufacturers and even more well-known "recipes" available from known engine builders out there.

I'm not making any judgements about your particular knowledge or skills, just a general statement. I have seen many get caught up in the hype of each manufacturer's part specs, without really considering the other parts going in too, and when they add up all claims of "horsepower produced" from each component, are expecting a 500 or 600 horse engine...and can't understand why they end up with an engine that barely idles, and only gets 250-300 horses.

Thanks! well that is why I came here this is my first build and I don't have a lot of experience but I am trying to learn. I did not know there are pages like that where i can see builds, that's actually something I have been trying to look for so I can get a starting point.

Dang! thanks for the help I quickly found the page and it's like everything I have been trying to learn up on!

Last edited by a moderator:
What is your goal for the car and what is your budget?

I would second Kit's advice on the crate engine. Lot's of times, you can't build a new engine for less, and most come with some form of warranty!

No way will you be making 400-500 hp with a 600cfm v/s carb. I have a custom 950 d/p on my 85 GT's 408 stroker and I am just over the 500 hp mark at the flywheel and 432hp/432tq at the rear wheels.

You will need to spin that engine 7k rpm's at least and Windsors don't like that much rpm's. What cyl heads are you going to run? I'm running AFR 185's on mine and they are just about maxed out with my ported Victor Jr intake. Cam is a custom hyd/roller with lots of duration and over .604" lift.

ARP bolts don't give any horsepower. You really dont need them as the 351's hardware is bigger than 302 hardware. Connecting rod bolts are about the only hardware upgrade you really SHOULD do. Boring an engine .030" over won't give any perceivable horsepower increase. Damper will not make any horsepower.

Always build horsepower around the cyl heads. Then get the air in and out with compatible intake, exhaust and valvetrain components, while building the rotating assembly strong enough to compliment the modifications.

Not trying to discourage you but the way you are selecting parts, you are going to have about a 250hp-300hp motor.

Yeah, if you're not an experienced engine builder I would go for a crate motor. I've blown up enough Windsors to know it's definitely not a bolt-on affair. I wish there were off the shelf headers with 1.75" and larger primary tube diameters for Windsors, but in retrospect I should've just stuck with the 351C that was in the car to begin with.

Back