Carlisle Ford Nationals 2014

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

73 Conv. 4speed Q code

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Ivy Glow Q code 4 speed Convertable loaded PDB,PS AIR, PW, TILT, RIM BLOW Ginger comfort weave
image.jpgHad a great weekend at The 2014 Ford National in Carlisle. Met lots of other 7173 owners all with awesome cars. There were many 7173 q codes and great conversations. Was glad to find out about this forum.

We have owned ours since 2005. Mostly original paint interior and drive train. I would like to find someone who can

"Restore" my paint instead of a complete paint job.

1973 Convertable Q code 4 speed Ivy glow with ginger.

Hi There Sir,

What is it about the paintwork that needs restoring as such?

Greg.:)
There are many scratches and dings 40+ years. Also I want to replace the hood with NASA and need to match the color if that is even possible.

::welcome:: from another Aussie great looking car. some very nice verts here and the drop top mob will appreciate you swelling the ranks. Enjoy

Welcome to the site from Virginia! Great looking convertible. Looks like someone has added a few personal touches to it. Looking forward to seeing more pics and hearing more about your convert.

Welcome from West Virginia! Awesome car!

Hi There Sir,

There are many scratches and dings 40+ years. Also I want to replace the hood with NASA and need to match the color if that is even possible.
Being a pro spraypainter, i can help give you sound advice on your paintwork. You have a similar situation as i have with my '73 Convertible in that we both have existing original factory paintwork. My paintwork has chips and scratches as well, but still looks very nice from 10 feet away.

These cars were originally finished in a baked mono enamel. That means there was no clean clearcoat used to go over the metallic base like there is in today's modern paints. That means as soon as you try to cut and or polish the old paint, you start shedding metallic paint straight away, which CAN change the appearence somewhat of the finish if you cut back or polish the paint too hard. When it comes to the chips and scratches, pencil brushing is your only option to hide those blemishes, and pencil brushing mostly looks pretty bad and stands out. Metallics don't like to be pencil brushed.

Dents can be pushed if desired without refinishing any panels. Like in my situation, the bad news is, that if you want a spot on looking car, your only option is to respray the whole car, thus loosing it's original paintwork. A strip and repaint is the most desirable approach for a long lasting job, but the most expensive way to go as well.

Color maching will have to be done by a pro spraypainter. The good news is that you have original paint work around the car. Your painter will be able to accurately eye match the new paint to the original color. That is the only way to end up with the same color you have now super accurately.If you were to buy the new Nasa hood, you would have to blend in the basecolor into the tops of the two front fenders anyway, and clearcoat the two entire fenders with clearcoat as well.

Bottom line is, if you take the poor man's way, you can give the car a power polish with a light buff and non abrasive polish, then pencil touch the chips and scratches, or get the car resprayed for a spot on blemish free final result, and pay the big money. Those are really your only two main options i feel.

Hope that helps,

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi There Sir,

Being a pro spraypainter, i can help give you sound advice on your paintwork. You have a similar situation as i have with my '73 Convertible in that we both have existing original factory paintwork. My paintwork has chips and scratches as well, but still looks very nice from 10 feet away.

These cars were originally finished in a baked mono enamel. That means there was no clean clearcoat used to go over the metallic base like there is in today's modern paints. That means as soon as you try to cut and or polish the old paint, you start shedding metallic paint straight away, which CAN change the appearence somewhat of the finish if you cut back or polish the paint too hard. When it comes to the chips and scratches, pencil brushing is your only option to hide those blemishes, and pencil brushing mostly looks pretty bad and stands out. Metallics don't like to be pencil brushed.

Dents can be pushed if desired without refinishing any panels. Like in my situation, the bad news is, that if you want a spot on looking car, your only option is to respray the whole car, thus loosing it's original paintwork. A strip and repaint is the most desirable approach for a long lasting job, but the most expensive way to go as well.

Color maching will have to be done by a pro spraypainter. The good news is that you have original paint work around the car. Your painter will be able to accurately eye match the new paint to the original color. That is the only way to end up with the same color you have now super accurately.If you were to buy the new Nasa hood, you would have to blend in the basecolor into the tops of the two front fenders anyway, and clearcoat the two entire fenders with clearcoat as well.

Bottom line is, if you take the poor man's way, you can give the car a power polish with a light buff and non abrasive polish, then pencil touch the chips and scratches, or get the car resprayed for a spot on blemish free final result, and pay the big money. Those are really your only two main options i feel.

Hope that helps,

Greg,

Thanks for your detailed advise it is much appreciated. I have been debating this for a long time. As time goes on it seems to be more important to keep the original paint as " it is only original once" but then I see other cars with great paint jobs and I change my mind again.

Thanks

Rich

Welcome from coastal Alabama! Nice looking and well optioned car you have there. be sure to add a pin to our member map under the fun stuff tab at the top of the page.

Had a great weekend at The 2014 Ford National in Carlisle. Met lots of other 7173 owners all with awesome cars. There were many 7173 q codes and great conversations. Was glad to find out about this forum.

We have owned ours since 2005. Mostly original paint interior and drive train. I would like to find someone who can

Hello from Latrobe PA! if you come accross a @ dupont or clear coating/paint sealant even years after painted that once applied can not be removed by washing w/soap and can be reapplied ie once a year that I will have done by my body shop-let me know. Use to such waxes on the market but. Have not looked into MAACO and such if liquid glass etc can be used or w/out fading the color

Had a great weekend at The 2014 Ford National in Carlisle. Met lots of other 7173 owners all with awesome cars. There were many 7173 q codes and great conversations. Was glad to find out about this forum.

Hi,

Welcome to the website, enjoyed talking to you the other day... I was the one with the bright red 73 convertible in the 1-50 years display.

It was a great weekend so many beautiful cars my wife must have taken about 300 pictures.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back