centerforce II clutch owners help!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

87fox72mach

Reaction score
My Car
1995 firebird rebuilt motor 5 spd dail driver
1987 grand wagoneer plow truck
1987 mustang lx 5.0 work custom engine bay and paint
1972 mach 1 project
20150404_175107.jpg[attachment=31205][attachment=31205]so im reading through the paper work that came with my centerforce 2 clutch kit for my 351c. one of the papers says on some ford flywheels a relief needs to be cut to avoid any interference between then rivets on the clutch disc and the flywheel ??? is this all flywheels im really confused. any help is great

Last edited by a moderator:

i would guess that you lay the disc on the flywheel and if it lays flat it is fine.

the thing im thinking also that the rivets they mention hitting ARE LOWER than the friction material rivets. wouldn't the friction rivets hit first anyways?

I had the flywheel turned. A k a. Resurfaced. But according to the centerforce instructions a relief has to be machined for the rivets to clear? I don't see how the rivets can possibly hit the flywheel as they are much lower than the top of the friction material

I used an NOS flywheel and there was no interference during assembly. I have not driven the car yet since the power train is not in at this point.

Let me know if you have problems with your pedal returning and how you balance the springs if that is a problem.

Thanks!

kcmash

On the subject of Centerforce, I inquired at the local Mustang shop about installing a Centerforce clutch

and was told they "did not like installing Centerforce clutches" and wanted $750 labor.

There is also this really big spring attached to the clutch pedal and I can't remember whether or not

Centerforce recommends using it, it is currently installed in my car.

mike

By rivets I'm referring to the rivets near the springs. I believe marcel springs is the name

I had the flywheel turned. A k a. Resurfaced. But according to the centerforce instructions a relief has to be machined for the rivets to clear? I don't see how the rivets can possibly hit the flywheel as they are much lower than the top of the friction material

lay the disc on the flywheel and if it lays flat it is fine.

By rivets I'm referring to the rivets near the springs. I believe marcel springs is the name
the marcel spring is the wavy spring between the discs.

20150404_172412.jpgSo would the marcel rivets they are referring to the ones closest to the center?

I mean marcel rivets sorry

So would the marcel rivets they are referring to the ones closest to the center?

I mean marcel rivets sorry
they are referring to the big rivet in your photo . . measure the od of the rivet pattern and the id of the hole in your pressure plate if any part of the rivet is outside the hole in the plate you need to machine the plate.

You mean flywheel right? And by big rivet you mean the inner most rivets

Ok thanks the inner most rivets closest to the springs easily clear. I was looking at the wrong set of rivets. The 2nd inner most

The inner most rivets. Which are also the ones that stick up the furthest. Are easily withing the 5 3/4 inch opening in the flywheel. So I think I should be ok

I wonder if earlier flywheels had smaller openings

Back