Changing my gears.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cazsper

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Coupe: 393w, TKO-600, Maier Racing springs, Global West suspension, Currie 9in with forged axles, 3.50 gears, Trutrac, Baer brakes front/rear
1973 Mach-1: 351c 4V, C-6, 3.73:1 gears and a long "To Do" list..
I am getting ready to purchase a new set of gears. Something street/ freeway friendly. I found a set of gears from Motive. Has anyone used them before? I'm looking at a set of 3.25's for my 9 inch. Thanks..

Mike

I have used them and it took two sets before we could get them set-up.

They are still in my Model A and good so far !!!

I would suggest paying the additional $$$ and get original Richmonds.

Thanks, Jay

It depends on the transmission, engine power band, wheel size, etc. My first mustang, el tostada, had a 351C, FMX, and 2.75 open rear end. The 3.25 gears would give you a bit more acceleration off the line, but lower top end and fuel mileage. If you have an overdrive trans, like an AOD, you'd have a pretty good setup with 3.25 or 3.50 gears. Richmond has a great reputation. I have no experience with Motive gears, but haven't heard anything bad about them. Are you going to do the work yourself? If you do, consider a crush sleeve eliminator. Saved me a lot of work and frustration when I build the 8.8 rear end for my F150.

No, I wasn't planning on doing the work myself. I have enough money for an Air Gap intake (I bought my car with a Victor intake and 3.73's). My gears are fine for driving around town but not so great for the freeway (most of my driving). I was asking more about the quality of the motive gears.

No, I wasn't planning on doing the work myself. I have enough money for an Air Gap intake (I bought my car with a Victor intake and 3.73's). My gears are fine for driving around town but not so great for the freeway (most of my driving). I was asking more about the quality of the motive gears.
I will post up my impressions of the airgap intake we're putting on in the next couple of days, I've just about got the install wrapped up. Gears are on my list to so I'll be following how they work out for you wiith whatever you decide.

By all means. What intake/gears did you start with? What is your engine trans combo?

I should be up and running by tonight. The car is a 73 sportsroof. 351C 2v, hedman longtubes, true duals with thrush turbo mufflers, duraspark conversion with MSD TFI coil, eddie rpm airgap manifold, 1406 carb with 70x42 metering rods & silver step up springs, k&n filter with ford racing drop base air cleaner, clutch fan, FMX trans w/shift kit and as indicated by deciphering the door tag an open 2.75 differential. To me the gears feel lower though as the car seems to run through the gears pretty quick.

Started with stock 2V intake and carburetor.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gears are funny... My Marti report said 2.75, but I swore a prior owner had swapped in 3.25s based on the RPMs I was seeing at certain speeds with my tire size. But sure enough... When I put in the 3.89 gears, and counted the teeth on the gears we took out... It was a 2.75

Last edited by a moderator:
Gears are funny... My Marti report said 2.75, but I swore a prior owner had swapped in 3.25s based on the RPMs I was seeing at certain speeds with my tire size. But sure enough... When I put in the 3.89 gears, and counted the teeth on the gears we took out... It was a 2.75
We encountered the same problem.

As it turned out, we forgot to change

the speedo gear in the tranny.

mike

We encountered the same problem.

As it turned out, we forgot to change

the speedo gear in the tranny.

mike
Yeah, but the transmission and rear gears were factory... All indications were 3.25. Conventional wisdom says my torque converter was still "slipping" even though in top gear and all... I now have a wide ratio AOD with 3.89s, and LOVE it

Back