Check your rag joints. part 1

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An excellent and valuable write-up. I discovered the same thing on my car when it failed in exactly the same way. By the time I figured it out I'd had the column in and out 3 times and wasted a day scratching my head and turning the air blue. Chuck

yes im about to do the same, what type of rag joint should i get and from where? want one that will last a while.. mine was origonal and i just wanna replace it for saftey sake

and my next queston is instead of a rag joint can i adapt it to something like a steering nuckel? so it dosent ever need replacing

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, I sure am glad you updated on this post. Where I'm at in my project is the perfect time to replace it with everything disconnected and out of the way. Told you my memory was bad. :huh:

Mine went out doing about 50mph, talk about a ride. Steering wheel tried to whip out of my hand too the right.

Maybe someone mentioned this, How about a Polyurethane one. I replaced mine with one about two years. Has a nice solid feel in the steering wheel.

Bad thing I can't remember where I got it from.

Markmel, sorry I'm still trying to rack my brain, can't think of it. I googled it and they still make them. Just can't remember where I got mine.

What I was told is the stock rubber gives you a softer feel for the road in the steering wheel, takes up some of the road harshness. You get more feed back thru the wheel with polyurethane. Maybe this is wrong, but I do feel the difference.

Markmel, sorry I'm still trying to rack my brain, can't think of it. I googled it and they still make them. Just can't remember where I got mine.

What I was told is the stock rubber gives you a softer feel for the road in the steering wheel, takes up some of the road harshness. You get more feed back thru the wheel with polyurethane. Maybe this is wrong, but I do feel the difference.
coupe351w

check my last post. I found them at macs auto

Rag joint could be eliminated but would need some room to get cutting wheel grinder and welder in there and use a steering shaft out of a jeep with u joints
KGrHqJiE3dSGHHHrBOGNNrtEg_12.jpg
have used several of these on a couple rat rods and a buddy has one on his 46 chevy. Not sure how anyone would feel about chopping the Mustang to add it

Back