• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Parts Wanted Want a used or broken tilt column rag joint coupler

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 w/408C stroker
Looking for the rag joint coupler for tilt column, even if the rubber is broken. Thank you.

Update: I don't need the rag joint but if anyone has the coupler to the tilt steering column I may be interested.

Last edited:
So I used the Lares kit with just the rubber disk in it to do my rebuild. Here are the problems.

1) The Rag joint listed for sale from vendors is for 1970 and earlier. They had I slightly smaller steering box side coupler. So it will NOT work on a 71 through 73.
2) Unless something has emerged in the last couple of months, there is no replacement or refurb for the 71-73 rag joint. When I called Lares directly, they said that they were working on one, but they did not have a release schedule or date.
3) Any kit you buy with a rubber disk to repair yours comes with hardware that bolts together and is designed for the non-tilt rag joint. So I spent weeks trying to find rivets to duplicate the original rivets, or shoulder bolts that would work to no avail. I used the provided fasteners and got it together, but I am unhappy with it and check the fasteners often.

I even offered Lares money to rivet a new rubber into my coupler, they said no. I asked if they would sell me the rivets, they said no.

Borgeson is another one to try. They had the same responses.

I used the Lares kit from Advance Auto. I can't find the part number at the moment.

So I used the Lares kit with just the rubber disk in it to do my rebuild. Here are the problems.

1) The Rag joint listed for sale from vendors is for 1970 and earlier. They had I slightly smaller steering box side coupler. So it will NOT work on a 71 through 73.
2) Unless something has emerged in the last couple of months, there is no replacement or refurb for the 71-73 rag joint. When I called Lares directly, they said that they were working on one, but they did not have a release schedule or date.
3) Any kit you buy with a rubber disk to repair yours comes with hardware that bolts together and is designed for the non-tilt rag joint. So I spent weeks trying to find rivets to duplicate the original rivets, or shoulder bolts that would work to no avail. I used the provided fasteners and got it together, but I am unhappy with it and check the fasteners often.

I even offered Lares money to rivet a new rubber into my coupler, they said no. I asked if they would sell me the rivets, they said no.

Borgeson is another one to try. They had the same responses.

I used the Lares kit from Advance Auto. I can't find the part number at the moment.
I wish I remember but I bought one 7 years ago when I put my car together. I know I first bought the rebuild kit from CJ Pony CSC311 and didn't use it because back then I was afraid of messing with the coupler. However, I saved it and I will use it to rebuild mine with a composite aluminum/PUR disc. My rebuild kit looks different than the one pictured on CJP website on that it has the two pins.
Eventually I ended up buying two couplers until one worked. Based on receipts, I first bought one from the former Mustangs Unlimited and about 6 months later I bought one from CJP. I can't remember which one worked but I only assume that the one I bought later worked. That one was: https://www.cjponyparts.com/cj-classics-steering-coupler-assembly-1967-1970/p/HW3431/ . I still have the one that didn't work so I will use parts of it with the rebuild kit.
I honestly don't remember which one was the good one so don't take my word for it. Once I remove it later this year I will check for any markings.

Back