"Checkbook Restorer"

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
All I know is that sometimes it's harder to pull out that check book and write out that big ass check then to have done the work yourself. I respect anybody who is either willing to do the work or willing to shell out the bucks for somebody else to do the work. As long as their willing to share credit with the craftsman who rebuilt that engine or put that beautiful paint job down.
Bingo!! Exactly what I would've said if I'd had the gift of 'brevity.'

It's all good, Dana. We knew what'cha meant... and totally feel the same way. I think we're all on the same page here. ::thumb::
Thank you all and 4by for the above. All is good, heck once I get the interior done I'll have the opportunity to be "that guy" but will choose instead to tell everybody that I "couldn't or didn't" do the interior therefore disqualifying myself as "a checkbook restorer" :D

Last edited by a moderator:
All I want to know if "checkbook restorer" is in the urban dictionary? Or gearhead dictionary?
unfortunately as I googled it, Wiki came up with nothing....Webster on the other hand had the following: "an unfortunate point in time where the urban classic car owner and the gearhead collide"

Like others say none of us do everything but some of use just have a skill that allows us to do more. My gal friend is an attorney and the grind of divorce and custody battles got to her and she decided to go a different direction. She quit the legal work and started to restore here over 100 year old house. She bought scaffolds, ladders, sanders, pressure washer, sprayer and spent lots of time on the net watching How To videos. When you walk down the street in her historic neighborhood and you see houses with 1/4" of cracking ugly old layers of 100 years of paint the look sad. When you get to hers she has stripped it to the bare wood, filled any bad places with wood hardener, primed at least two coats and then a couple coats of color. She took the window sashes out stripped then took all the old putty out and glazed them and put new weight cords in and new brass seals around them. People stop all the time to ask what contractor did the job and she always smiles and says me. It took her 3 years but it will last much longer than the other will.

I am sure there are those that write the checks more could do the same if time and a place to do it allowed.

Like I have read here I do not respect the ones that sit at home and have someone go find them a Shelby or Boss that is perfect and buy it and have it shipped to their home. If it goes to a show they ship it and never wash it or much less do anything to it. All they know is that it cost them six figures and they brag to their piers about the price they paid. All they do for the working guy is make our hobby too expensive.

Everyone is different and that is what makes the world turn.

David

And for me working on the car is my hobby. I like to get lost in the effort and not think about other things. But that doesn't mean others who don't enjoy working on their cars should own a nice old classic mustang too!

If I can do the work, I do it... If I can't I farm it out... Interior work, Body work and Paint I can't do... I see nothing wrong with that at all ..... and for therecord, I would absolutely love to be able to write a check and tell somebody else exactly how I want a car bulit... that would be awsome !!!

If I can do the work, I do it... If I can't I farm it out... Interior work, Body work and Paint I can't do... I see nothing wrong with that at all ..... and for therecord, I would absolutely love to be able to write a check and tell somebody else exactly how I want a car bulit... that would be awsome !!!
True so true. Some folks just are not wired to do manual stuff. Heck my wife came from one of the top law firms in the country... cant clean a house and doesnt want to learn. Whatever the price is...she pays it. If its over priced ..that is okay she never questions it. Me on the other hand I will do all the things I can myself. I've saved THOUSANDS keeping mechanics from under the hood. eg: one guy wanted 800 to replace my alternator in the Benz....i had it done in 2 hours for 135.00.

If a guy or girl has the cash and he wants to just pay for it. So what that is his or her right. my point was simply...dont look down your nose at me and claim "you restored it" (reality not technically because paying for it you did) Be a man and polite and say I had it restored.

Even as dyi folks all of us have different levels of skill not all of us are equal. But for every dollar I save, there is my bank account sitting idle waiting for that next car deal.

Two points I'd like to make.

(1) Although i did most of the restoration of my 66, there were a few odds and ends that I had someone else do because I knew the limit of my own skills. Much like Wolverine, I can't paint worth squat...so I have to pay someone to do it. My feeling is that a good mechanic/gearhead knows his limits and respects that.

(2) The most important restoration book anyone has is their checkbook. You still have to pay for parts, paint, supplies, etc.

Wow,

Lots of great response to this thread! Just to be clear, I bought my car already restored. However it still has several details that are not factory correct that I am working on myself. I am not totally helpless but these are as I said very minor details.

Also, I want to be clear on this point. I show my car a lot and I am often asked if I restored it. I NEVER tell some one that I restored my car. I hope someday I can track down both who and where my car was restored. I also have run across those people we all know that know more about our cars than we do. They are amazing and it is best to just let them talk a bit then move on to the next person.

I also have learned lots of details about my car and the 71-73 cars in general. I credit this site for that. There is just so much information here that is just about our cars. It is truly a wealth of information. I do love to talk about cars and hear other people's stories about their cars. After all, every car has a story and we all love to hear those stories.

Now just want to get this straight as well. I did not think RPM Carter meant the term to be derogatory towards me or anyone else on this forum. I have read enough of RPM Carter's post to know he is a colorful outspoken person. I enjoy reading his post and like that he really gives you what he thinks without a filter! That's why sometimes I am not exactly sure of his meaning. It would be a lot easier if you were standing in front of him and could read his body language which would likely leave no doubts.

Carter and I live to close here in the Houston area to not meet someday. I think he lives in the Kingwood area and I live in the Tomball area. So perhaps we will meet one day and I will bring my checkbook and buy your lunch sir.

I will even help you find those power window parts you are looking for. Still can't quite figure out what exactly you are missing. I will be going to the Goodguys show and swap meet in Ft Worth in a couple of weeks so let me know what you are looking for.

I had to break out the pocket to get my car as I am physically unable to restore a car. Plus, I don't have the talent to restore a car to the level mine is. Hats of to the guy that did mine. I still have a few things I am going to do myself, like a new intake & carb. I can do small stuff like that, have always turned a wrench & still love it.

So I say, no matter how you get there, just get there. :)

ndfXDWmyIDJf6uSXKK5z46EcXwL.jpg

Well Mike in my world filters are for oil and air. Filters are for persons that are socially inept and low self esteem striking back at society forcing others to beckon their next complaint. They usually have a stack. I don't concern myself with those types, or intent on saying anything to hurt others. Example, if a person of such poor social skills as in the guy that would make those claims to make himself feel superior, the subject of this thread....I'd be the first to tell them to their face. I don't tolerate superiors (better than thou) or fakes well. I don't offend for the purpose of putting down and I'm not easy to offend. I also stand up for those who are truely weak.

Yes I joke around and some "choose" to get offended. Not my problem. If you were standing in front of me you would probably "get it" and find yourself and if others are around ...all of you laughing. Heck Jeremy and I pretty much talked and laughed for the whole two hours. I cracked a lot of jokes and he didnt whine one bit...I did see him borrow a towel from the barista and had it against his face..... :s poor guy appeared to be sobbing.

So I hope all is well.

Now for the parts.. It isnt what you call a switch. It is the bezel (the chrome pretty part), base, the plastic part that screws into the metal door frame, and clips that hold the bezel onto that base break from age. the base is plastic..chips off /breaks, the clips very thin metal that fatigue over time, rust, crack or simple break too. You can identify these issues when you see a car of our years with P/W and they have screw holes drilled into the sides. I go to a lot of swap meets from Turkey Rod Run to the Pate Swap Meet ....nothing. Doesn't mean they wont pop up however my experience is only Chebbie and Mopar break down...I dont ever see much Ford stuff.

2000506.jpg

2000506_1.jpg

these were made only 2 years and VERY few cars had them.

And hey, there is nothing wrong with supporting someone who makes a living restoring cars (or does paint, interior, welding, engines , tuning, etc). That's a win win.

ehhhh yeah that would be a good way to put it Greg. I have a car that has all its components from the factory, 8 track fm, 351, tranny... I wanted the interior to look original and have the mysterious power windows correct and functional. I guess you can say foolish and dedicated along with hell bent. I know almost every inch of the system by now. I've seen 10 or more partial sets, I know where they crack and how it affects the clips. I almost bought a 71 Cougar convertible because it had the p/w just to save my car. 2500.00... the pics were good but at an angle could not see the lovely screws holding each and every bezel on. When I walked up I open the door...closed the door and tried politely to depart. I did explain to the fellow I couldnt buy it...ehh he even wanted to negotiate and I explained why the screws were there. It was 4 hours and 150 miles. He had it up for sale again this year.

I have a new set like in your link, in the garage but could not bring myself to installing it 200 in the box still... I want the originals.

Dana, anybody post good clear picture of what the switches look like in the car and if possible the parts you need. There may be a Aussie cross over part and I would be happy to start looking as soon as I know what you need. Carter I like the bit where they said you where colourful and outspoken:) I thought you where normal;) ish

ndfXDWmyIDJf6uSXKK5z46EcXwL.jpg

Well Mike in my world filters are for oil and air. Filters are for persons that are socially inept and low self esteem striking back at society forcing others to beckon their next complaint. They usually have a stack. I don't concern myself with those types, or intent on saying anything to hurt others. Example, if a person of such poor social skills as in the guy that would make those claims to make himself feel superior, the subject of this thread....I'd be the first to tell them to their face. I don't tolerate superiors (better than thou) or fakes well. I don't offend for the purpose of putting down and I'm not easy to offend. I also stand up for those who are truely weak.

Yes I joke around and some "choose" to get offended. Not my problem. If you were standing in front of me you would probably "get it" and find yourself and if others are around ...all of you laughing. Heck Jeremy and I pretty much talked and laughed for the whole two hours. I cracked a lot of jokes and he didnt whine one bit...I did see him borrow a towel from the barista and had it against his face..... :s poor guy appeared to be sobbing.

So I hope all is well.

Now for the parts.. It isnt what you call a switch. It is the bezel (the chrome pretty part), base, the plastic part that screws into the metal door frame, and clips that hold the bezel onto that base break from age. the base is plastic..chips off /breaks, the clips very thin metal that fatigue over time, rust, crack or simple break too. You can identify these issues when you see a car of our years with P/W and they have screw holes drilled into the sides. I go to a lot of swap meets from Turkey Rod Run to the Pate Swap Meet ....nothing. Doesn't mean they wont pop up however my experience is only Chebbie and Mopar break down...I dont ever see much Ford stuff.

2000506.jpg

2000506_1.jpg

these were made only 2 years and VERY few cars had them.
Ok,

So those are the clips behind the door panel that hold the bezel in place. Correct?

Now you got me worried that mine might have little screws holding them on. Pretty sure there are none but I will look close in the morning just to be sure.

I will save those photos and join the hunt.

Mike

I wish I had the ability to be a "checkbook restorer"! Dropping the car off for few weeks to get painted while I did other things would be awesome. But, no funds forced me to wield the sandpaper and spray-gun each time.

Paying someone to remove the dash, refurbish my gauges and replace all interior lighting with LEDs is something I could not afford.

Also, I am too picky...over the years I have met only a few people who take the pride and care to get every detail right...not just "good enough"...and I am usually dissapointed when I pay someone to do something I could have done myself.

Dana, anybody post good clear picture of what the switches look like in the car and if possible the parts you need. There may be a Aussie cross over part and I would be happy to start looking as soon as I know what you need. Carter I like the bit where they said you where colourful and outspoken:) I thought you where normal;) ish
I resemble that remark!! :D

10003187-1028.jpg

this is a good "gang of 5" base. note it is used but no cracks or chipped sides. All slots appear to be intact. This is the base for the driver door. The pic above is a shot of this upside down and you can see the clips and how you push the bezel over them to lock it down. It is a very snug to tight fitting. this usually caused the clips to break over time.

I'm going to borrow some metal shears and attempt an idea I've had for awhile ...I'll either be successful or drunk by the time I finish.

The switches themselves are identical to XA/XB Falcon, Faimont and ZF/ZG Fairlane, but as for the backs, I can't remember exactly if they are the same, but I'm thinking they may be different. Then comes the other part of the equation, finding them and trying to outbid everyone for them, as every time they turn up on eBay, there is a frenzy on them, because we have the same problem over here, being a limited run item and a not so common one.

Back