Cleveland vs. Windsor Water Pumps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Sportsroof. Currently a work in progress!!!
Is there a difference between a water pump for a 351C and a 351W?

I see some places where they specifically separate them and a few places that don't show a different listing.

Thanks

Tim

Just be clear the engine in my '73 is a 1972 351C - which I don't think there is any difference between those years.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do need a water pump be sure to specify 351c/400 engine. The 302/351W is a different engine family. The two 351's tend to confuse the non veteran parts counter person. Most of 'em would think you needed a water pump so you could take a trip to Ohio!! I used to tell people to just ask for a water pump for a 400 engine in a LTD that matched the year of your Mustang. Lol Even at the dealer level when you had a new mechanic and a new parts person...."They're all the same and you ordered the wrong @#$?!!% parts" was heard a lot. So...like TommyK said, yes!! :D

What might those differences be?

Tim

In a word...

Yes

Well I picked one up locally and I did tell the parts guy that the 351C 400 and the M were are same and he said this was the correct one...and then said there was no difference for the Windsor. Any idea what I should look at to determine if I have the correct one?

I could just take it back and order one.

Tim

If you do need a water pump be sure to specify 351c/400 engine. The 302/351W is a different engine family. The two 351's tend to confuse the non veteran parts counter person. Most of 'em would think you needed a water pump so you could take a trip to Ohio!! I used to tell people to just ask for a water pump for a 400 engine in a LTD that matched the year of your Mustang. Lol Even at the dealer level when you had a new mechanic and a new parts person...."They're all the same and you ordered the wrong @#$?!!% parts" was heard a lot. So...like TommyK said, yes!! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Glad TommyK found those excellent illustrations. Had some in my files but could not find them. As you can see the 351C has 11 bolts and the 302/351W uses 9. A majority of the pumps out there started life as an OE Ford pump. Look for engineering ID #'s DOAE-D, DOOE-D, D1AE-AA, D2AE-DA, D2SE-AA, or D7TE-AA. These are the most common ID #'s. Since the 260/289/302 family has been around since 1962 and the 351W since 1969 there are way too many numbers to list here. There are a couple of 302/351W numbers that are close, DOAE-E, DOOE-G, that also can cause confusion. It's your money, just make sure they know that and "Close enough and they're all the same" doesn't get it! ::thumb::

The basic *casting* for the 70-up W & C pumps are the same, the difference is in how they are machined. The W gets two pressed in water tubes, the C has one tapped hole for the thermostatic vacuum switch and one pressed in water tube.

Ya know, I noticed that the oil pressure gauge wasn't registering much pressure. But I assumed it just wasn't working.

The gauge is fed from the top of the engine and its a clear tube and oil doesn't seem to be flowing up the tube.

Tim

Oil doesn't flow through the tube, just far enough in to pressurize the bourdon tube in the gauge and the air in the tube. The volume it displaces is very small. Even though it's a mechanical gauge it may be inaccurate.

Back